Please do not disregard

Dear Dr. Bob, Thank you for answer all these question and I was thinking I wish we had more poeple like you and your team on this globe. The question for you is how accurate and reliable is the oraquick is. I had one done yesterday while I am waiting for my blood test result to come back by today or tomorrow. (due to the fact that I am mixing my day and night bc of the stress of going through this screening). The OraQuick was Negative (Thank God) but then I searched more online and I have noticed the oral fluid one is not FDA apporoved. I have taken one of these before and the blood test after that and both were Negative. but now the more I read the more I start worriying. like to know your thoughts.

OraQuick (Blood, Plasma, or Oral Fluid test)is FDA approved and very reliable. (See below.)

Oraquick Reliability? Mar 23, 2006

Please help relieve my over 3 months of anxiety and confusion and tell me if it is ok to "WOOHOO".

I had an encounter on Nov 23rd (unprotected sex with a girl of unknown HIV status). About 9 weeks after the incident, I started feeling joint pains, muscle pains, etc,. but no fever.

At week 15, I had an Oraquick blood prick test at an HIV/STD clinic - negative. The person giving the test pointed to the test and indicated that "the test shows I am REALLY negative, without a doubt". I dont know what that meant..

How reliable is the Oraquick blood prick test after 15 weeks?

It is now almost 17 weeks and once in a while, I still get joint pains. No other symptoms like a fever, or diahrea, just these joint pains every so often, sometimes very painful, and then sometimes not there at all.

Thanks for having this website, it has helped me through an extremely tough time in my life... just recently moved to America from Canada by myself and feeling very isolated and alone here. This website was very helpful to guide me through and give me the courage to have an HIV test. I commend you for the work and effort you are putting forth within the HIV/AIDS community.

K

Hello K,

Exactly what part of "The test shows you are REALLY negative, without a doubt" don't you understand?

What do you mean you don't know what that means?!?!?

A negative OraQuick at 15 weeks is considered definitive and conclusive. Whatever is causing your "symptoms," it's not HIV. So let me try to sum things up by saying: HIV IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

K, it's time for you to stop worrying and get out and make some friends. After all, like Liza with a Z sings, "What good is sitting alone in your room. Come here the music play. Life is a Cabaret, oh Chum. So come to the Cabaret!"

Dr. Bob (with a B)

HIV 1 vs HIV2 RAPID TESTS Jan 26, 2005

Hey Dr.Bob,

What's the scoop on these quick HIV tests for diagnosing HIV-1 versus HIV-2. I think I may have had exposure to someone from West Africa yet I can't stand the thought of having to wait for test results. Then again I'm not really sure he was from West Africa or had contact with anyone from West Africa. The window period has passed, at least I think it's past. Now I just need to get the test done -- or maybe forget the whole thing? If I do get it done I really want to get it done rapidly.... very rapidly. You know like draw the blood, go drink a starbucks (or maybe smoke a joint) and then come back for the results in 20 minutes. Any chance I can do that .... wanna have a cup of coffee or a toke sometime soon... I could use the company and maybe an ativan prescription. Please send me some of your infalable good luck or maybe at least some ativan... i need it -- don't I?!?

Thanks Bob-bob-berino

Confused dude

Hello Confused,

What did the caption under your yearbook photo read? "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure?"

OK, here's the latest on rapid HIV tests. The original version of OraQuick Rapid HIV Antibody Test was approved in 2002 for the detection of antibody to HIV-1 in blood. In 2004, the FDA approved OraQuick Rapid HIV1/HIV2 Antibody Test for detection of HIV-2 (a variant of HIV that is prevalent in West Africa, but only rarely found in the USA) in blood.

More recently, the FDA approved another rapid test to differentiate between HIV-1 and HIV-2. The single-use Multispot HIV1/HIV2 Rapid Test, produced by Bio-Rad Laboratories, detects circulating viral antibodies in blood. Its use is limited to approved clinical laboratories. Clinical studies have found it to be 100% sensitive and 99.93% specific.

So, roll up that sleeve (and roll up that joint?); it's time for your indecision to decisively come to an end. You'll have your result even before an Ativan tab would have the chance to kick in!

As for sending some of my infallible (or "infalable", for that matter) good luck, -- you got it! OK? And, regarding HIV-2, the chances are great that "you don't got it."

Dr. Bob-bob-berino

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO
i am the winner