Doctor recommended EIA after 6 weeks

Hello doctor Bob!

I was a 27 y/o virgin until last friday, when I gave in to curiosity and went to a gay sauna with a friend. There, I had unprotected oral sex with a guy (we 69ed), and I fingered him for a while. I also received oral sex from two other guys. Nobody ejaculated, though I tasted pre-cum. On Sunday I went to ER and they gave me Combivir. On Thursday I had an appointment with an infectious diseases doctor who took swabs and samples for other diseases (I can't believe I got a hard on when he checked my nethers). He also took me off the Combivir (he didn't prescribe any more, but told me there would be no harm in taking the 4 tablets left over) and told me that an EIA test for HIV would be reliable within 6 weeks of exposure. He said that the tests nowadays are much more sensitive. So doc, do you agree with him taking me off the PEP and with him saying that a test after 6 weeks would be sufficient? I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Thank you so much in advance!

Recently de-virginised down-under

Hello Recently de-virginized down-under,

A 27-year-old virgin in Melbourne? With all those spunky hunkies in that marvelous city? Were you in a coma for the past decade? Or perhaps you're related to the puritanical John Howard? No wonder you sprouted a woody when the doc checked your nethers. You must be turbo-horned-up constantly and ready to root like a wombat in heat.

OK, on to your dilemma . . . . Yes, I agree with your infectious diseases doctor: PEP is not warranted. As for the reliability of EIA tests at six weeks, I know this is now the standard in Australia (and some other locations as well). I have no reason to doubt his advice. However, here in the USA, the guidelines continue to recommend the three-month mark as the cutoff for a conclusive HIV-antibody test. Consequently I continue to advise that the window period for routine exposures without extenuating circumstances is a full three months. (Not all locations worldwide are as fortunate as Australia is in having access to the latest generation of HIV-antibody tests. When I post my comments this forum I must take into consideration that what I write is read throughout cyberspace.)

I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test will be negative and you'll soon be joyfully cackling like a crazed kookaburra with your negative test result.

G'day and g'luck.

Too Early for WOO-HOO?
good news?????????