Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doctor recommended EIA after 6 weeks
Jul 20, 2007

Hello doctor Bob!

I was a 27 y/o virgin until last friday, when I gave in to curiosity and went to a gay sauna with a friend. There, I had unprotected oral sex with a guy (we 69ed), and I fingered him for a while. I also received oral sex from two other guys. Nobody ejaculated, though I tasted pre-cum. On Sunday I went to ER and they gave me Combivir. On Thursday I had an appointment with an infectious diseases doctor who took swabs and samples for other diseases (I can't believe I got a hard on when he checked my nethers). He also took me off the Combivir (he didn't prescribe any more, but told me there would be no harm in taking the 4 tablets left over) and told me that an EIA test for HIV would be reliable within 6 weeks of exposure. He said that the tests nowadays are much more sensitive. So doc, do you agree with him taking me off the PEP and with him saying that a test after 6 weeks would be sufficient? I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Thank you so much in advance!

Recently de-virginised down-under

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Recently de-virginized down-under,

A 27-year-old virgin in Melbourne? With all those spunky hunkies in that marvelous city? Were you in a coma for the past decade? Or perhaps you're related to the puritanical John Howard? No wonder you sprouted a woody when the doc checked your nethers. You must be turbo-horned-up constantly and ready to root like a wombat in heat.

OK, on to your dilemma . . . . Yes, I agree with your infectious diseases doctor: PEP is not warranted. As for the reliability of EIA tests at six weeks, I know this is now the standard in Australia (and some other locations as well). I have no reason to doubt his advice. However, here in the USA, the guidelines continue to recommend the three-month mark as the cutoff for a conclusive HIV-antibody test. Consequently I continue to advise that the window period for routine exposures without extenuating circumstances is a full three months. (Not all locations worldwide are as fortunate as Australia is in having access to the latest generation of HIV-antibody tests. When I post my comments this forum I must take into consideration that what I write is read throughout cyberspace.)

I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test will be negative and you'll soon be joyfully cackling like a crazed kookaburra with your negative test result.

G'day and g'luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Too Early for WOO-HOO?
Next
good news?????????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.