Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

8YRS OF HELL PLEASE RESPOND!!!
Jul 18, 2007

Dr Bob I am a 26 yr old drug addict that wont stop using opiate pain killers because I am convinced I am dying of AIDS. 8 1/2 years ago I had a relationship with an IV drug user [I was one too]during this.I went to rehab 3 times where they always took 2 vials of blood.was it a hiv test?i asked the nurse one if i had aids and she said,"not that i can see."but what if i didnt get the test? Also,at the very end of this ordeal,me and my partner both got on methadone where we had compleate physicals including blood tests.My memory is so foggy that i cant recall much about it.My mom claims that i was told i was healthy and so was he.she said that she talked to the nurse and to my partner's father and they discussed our heath and were thankfull.Still,i dont remember any of this! Anyway,the fear crept into my mind somehow.I got off methadone and ended up with a terrible oxycontin habit.I quit and was ok for awhile,then began drinking heavily,like a pint of jagermister a day and doing pills.this was 7 yrs into this ordeal and my tongue got a white coating.i went to se my counselor who told me it was from drinking and wasnt thrush.[he's a hiv/aids specailist as well].this coating in my mouth convinced me it was the end,but eventualy it went away on its own.[i was also smoking 3 packs of marlboro reds a day,which i continue to do. So now it has been 8 1/2 years.this whole time i didnt have any other possible symptoms of aids and dont get sick too oftern,but i am frequently tired,maybe 10 yrs of opiate addiction and servere stress and worry? I was wondering if a servere OI like pcp could come on sudden

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"I am a 26-year-old drug addict that won't stop using opiate pain killers, because I am convinced I am dying of AIDS." Sorry, Charlie, I don't buy it. You're not dying of AIDS, but you are indeed killing yourself with drugs. If you're worried about HIV, a simple rapid HIV test will give you a definitive result in as few as 20 minutes. Stop making excuses for your drug habit and get the help you need to conquer your addictions.

Dr. Bob

Previous
am i at risk?
Next
I'm Danish - follow up (just received 12 week test results)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.