Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reinfection
Jul 17, 2007

My boyfriend gave me HIV and we are still together, I heard that we still have to use condoms even though we are both infected because we can become infected again. I did some research on this web site and from the articles I read it seems that there is evidence of reinfection but through unprotected sex with others whom did not originally give it to you or after you are taking the antiretroviral meds that you can be infected with a resistant strain of HIV. My question comes down to this can me and my boyfriend have unprotected sex if we are not taking any meds?

Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"Can" you have unprotected sex with your HIV+ boyfriend? Sure you "can," but the real question is should you?!? Even though he transmitted his viral strain to you, once the virus is in a different host, it can evolve somewhat differently, in spite of you both not being on meds. Consequently, there are still risks involved.

In addition, unprotected sex places you (and him) at risk for other STDs. Contracting another STD can send your HIV into overdrive.

My advice is to continue using condoms. Personally, I wouldn't risk doing otherwise.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
this might sound crazy
Next
Do you like danish? (I'm Danish!) - PLEASE respond

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.