Fuzeon Injection site welts, can they be avoided?

I'm taking Fuzeon and the injection sites often swell for days and leave noticable hard tissue under the skin, which appears as a welt or bump. I'm really muscular and have not got much fat. Are there any ways to avoid the bumps and welts? Twice a day I inject and the welts are adding up. Thanks, J H

I'd suggest you try massaging the site after injection for 5-10 minutes. You can use a mechanical vibrator or your fingers. Additionally you could try applying either heat or cold after the injection. (Some folks swear by one or the other.) Also, try different injection sites. It does appear true that the more fat you have in the area the less site reaction you will develop. Since you are muscular, perhaps you could try using your butt. That area always has some spare fat! Another trick that sometimes works is to use an "insulin needle." Some folks find them easier to handle, sharper and more comfortable. There is also a needle-free carbon dioxide-powered device called a Biojector 2000 that is being tested with Fuzeon. It was hoped that the needleless device would decrease injection site reactions; however it appears the Biojector has its own potential side effects, particularly for folks with blood-clotting disorders or those taking anticoagulant medications. There have been reports of long-lasting nerve pain, bruising and broken blood vessels. If you try the Biojector 2000, I'd recommend using it only in the upper arm and abdomen (away from the belly button) or on the front part of the thigh.

Hope that helps!

Drug Holiday?
Kaposis Sarcoma