the strange paradox of hiv - for worried wells

Dear Dr. Bob,

I hope you are well. Thanks for your good luck karma and concern. Heres another thought for all the prematurely panicking people.

The bulk of people tormenting themselves over whether they have been infected do so after one or maybe two possible exposures. Take heart, because this in itself greatly improves your odds. Inescapably though, a small percentage would have inevitably been exposed. Everyone wants to be told the risk of transmission relative to his or her circumstance is small. Typically, chances are remote, nevertheless theres always the tendency to dwell on the fact your one of the unlucky ones, which is a natural human reaction to look for the worst.

If someone has HIV then they will subsequently test positive, there is nothing that can be said that will change that, end of story. When the formalities are confirmed, the only reassurance this person needs is that they still have the potential for a bright future, if they work for it.

One of my favourite quotes from a website is many of the people who worry about these things have no reason to be worried at all, whereas many people who really ought to be worried dont seem concerned, and thats the strange paradox of HIV.

Ultimately, if you are a reader of this forum you probably fall into the former category rather than the latter. Its the fact that you have some sort of understanding of HIV (right or wrong) that creates the fear. Its those who are ignorant who are most at risk. Therefore, visiting and digesting this website should not only ease your fears in the short term (window period) and long term (positive or in all likelihood negative), but also supply you with knowledge to pass onto others. Needless to say you will have already made a promise never to put yourself through a potential window period again.

If you are currently anxiety ridden, there maybe nothing anyone can do or say to soothe your concerns. Whether you go onto test positive or not, in hindsight youd without question regret the extra trauma and stress you put yourself through. I know this may seem hard, but you have to wait for three months. Its best to put it to the back of your mind and worry about it when you know you have to.

All the best to everyone and Dr. Bob

I agree with your assessment of the "PPPP" (Paradox of the Prematurely Panicking People). Thanks for your comment.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ANSWER
Nipple Biting & Exposure to Blood