thats your opinion not mine (PRAYER) (RELIGION)

hi dr bob thanks for your reply despite of your answers i strongly believe that religion can vure aids if followed in true way you cant measure gods power.not even aids but diseases which are 100 times more deadly than aids will be cured.it makes sense to trust words written in holy book rather that trusting words said by a doctor created by god u lack in faith.lets put it simple.no faith no cure. i dont care how u believe or feel about religion but i have my faith,trust and belief. all the fingers are not same.u stay with you opinion and i stay with mine.if you take a step towarsd god then god will take 100 steps towards you give it a try

i still admire and respect you.take care and if possible pray

I have absolutely no doubt that you "strongly believe that religion can 'vure' aids if followed in true way." And you have every right to your beliefs and your opinions. However, you do not have a right to anyone else's! Nor does your personal belief alter scientific fact or common sense. Really dear, do you think any of the 40,000,000 of us struggling with HIV/AIDS would still choose to do so if all it took was "faith, trust, and belief" to cure this scourge?

I'm sure it's unintentional, but I must say your sanctimonious gibberish is both insensitive and, in some ways, insulting to HIV-positive folks. I'm not trying to diminish your faith; I'm merely attempting to increase your common sense. This is not a forum for you to proselytize! To suggest HIV/AIDS can be cured by miracles if someone merely "believed," as you do, is nonsense. This is the real world, not never-never land.

not a question but opinion.need ur comments (PRAYER) (RELIGION) Jul 12, 2007

hi to dr bob i admire you but disagree with you in something and that is "power of god". i strongly believe that quality pray with quality deeds together with following religious commandments,it is humanly possible to defeat hiv.prayers can indeed cure hiv and it all depends on the faith of the person.you sound sense when you said that 4 million people couldnt defeat the hiv by their prayers.but if you have a glimpse at africa you will find to your surprise that jesus has cured many of hiv patients and he continues to do so who folows him with all the heart and soul.you cant compare religion and science.being a hindu my religious text and even bible and quran clearly states that the cure for any disease is within the holy book.the only thing we dont know is how to achieve it.when a person follows each and every commandment of the religion from teh heart and cries deep down from his heart then only cure takes place.but it doesnot happen overnight.it takes time.thats why we say in gods kingdom there may be delay but not refusal.knock the door and the door will be wide open. what science has to say today has been said in hindu religious book of health called "ayurved and charak samhita".what you know today about human body has beenm revealed by prophets and saints hundreds of years ago.

i would like to post a story of a kenyan guy who i came across during my stay in nairobi 4 yers before. a television programmed was aired on kenyan television back in 2003 called "experiecing god".the guy whose name i dont remember ,was the guest in that show .he made public his real life story being an hiv positive.how jesus cured him of hiv.the story goes on like this.

this african guy contracted hiv through unprotected sex.he didnt tell his status to anyone not even to his family.he came across jesus and thought of trying him and thats when prayers started. his family thought of sending him to india for further studies.before joining any academic institutions in india, all the foreign students have to undergo medical tests.and thats what made him stressed .he feared that his hiv status will be diclosed to his family and he will be barred from attending teh course.so one day he was praying behind closed doors.during the course of pray he felt that something came out of his body.at that moment he didint realised that it was hiv by gods grace.after couple of days when he presented himself before doctors for the lab work it turned out negative(praise to god). thats how he was cured.the interviewer of teh show asked him whether on his way back home to nairobi ,did he went through medical tests to reconfirm his hiv status.he said he did it and it was negative.this is only one example of gods power.many other exsists. the only reason i wanna share this story with you is to make u feel that god is able more that able i wanna strengthen your faith.faith can shake mountains so what is hiv? nothing man.god's limit starts where everything fails.

dr bob i admire you,respect you but only in this thing i wont agree with you if you feel like posting this i will really appreciate.by the way i dontt wanna force you.but from tis moment onwards give jesus a try.you wont regret.let all the hiv positive people try jesus.dont u thing that being accessed to life prolonging hiv medications u r really blessed.its all gods work.ur comments over my opinion are welcome.pls share ur opinion

mission successful

Well, whether it's "mission successful" or "mission impossible," you and I will have to agree to disagree on this point. I should point out no one has ever been cured of HIV/AIDS. Your anecdotal story is just that an anecdotal story! Since there is no documentation that your African guy was even HIV positive to begin with, it makes his miracle a bit hard to accept, doncha think???

Religion and spirituality has its place and I agree it can be a comfort to many, especially in times of need. However, religion as a cure for HIV? No, that is not true, no matter what you saw on Kenyan TV in 2003. That you personally "strongly believe that quality prayer with quality deeds together with following religious commandments can defeat HIV" doesn't change the scientific facts that that just isn't the reality. Believe what you will, but I will not allow the 40 million people who are struggling valiantly with the challenges of HIV/AIDS to think even for one nanosecond that their prayers or deeds are not good enough for them to be divinely cured. There is a big difference between hope and false hope and between realistic science-based optimism and faith-based science fiction myths. (See below.) I have no doubts the "higher powers" are indeed on my side in this discussion.

A little Prayer here and there Jan 22, 2007

Dr. Bob, This is a response to the above. Dr. Bob, I am by far a holi-roller, but I do believe in the power of prayer, however inconsistant it is, yes, hit-n-miss...prayer to me pisses me for and can also sooth...yet for me, most go unanswered. When I'm around spiritually centered people...I can and often do "such on then like a bottle" It is through people the I often find God. Best, Brian

Hello Brian,

What does ". . . prayer to me pisses me for and can also sooth . . ." mean????? And how about ". . . I can and often do 'such on then like a bottle'????"

And Brian, if prayers are inconsistent hits and misses, it makes them a bit difficult to evaluate, don't you think?

I really have no grudge against communing with the Higher Powers and, in fact, I do that myself in my own special ways. However, personally, I don't think the Higher Powers are all that concerned with who wins the football game (all those group prayers in the huddle look a bit silly to me) or who wins the most Golden Globe awards. One would logically assume the Higher Powers have a few more pressing matters to deal with than the trivial pursuits of self-indulgent people. My comments about prayers (reprinted below) have to do with a well conducted scientific study. "Believe" what you wish, Brian, but that doesn't change scientific facts.

Faith and HIV Jan 7, 2007

Hello Dr. Franscino. I enjoy reading your responses, you have an excellent knowledge of the HIV virus and have helped hundreds, if not thousands of people. However, I've noticed you seem to have a grudge against a religious view about HIV. I won't condemn you for your choice or view on faith and religion, but perhaps you shouldn't be so critical about someone else's views or opinions regarding faith and religion. I am a Christian and have been having some medical problems. I still go to the doctor when it's necessary, but I've also had good experiences with prayer as well, physically, emotionally, and psychologically. So once again, don't be so critical of faith and prayer. In a world of medicine and technology, sometimes faith is all we have

If you have had "good experiences with prayer physically, emotionally, and psychologically," fine and dandy. I'll never argue with success; however, scientific fact is fact. Religion is merely a belief. There is a difference.

As it turns out, loads and loads of folks "believe" prayer will help them through a medical crisis. And if a large group of people in addition to yourself, your family, friends, the 700 Club, whatever, add their prayers, that's even more helpful, right? Well apparently no, that's not right! Researchers have been trying to analyze and measure the effect of prayer for a number of years. Two often quoted studies suggested that third party prayers are helpful, but two other studies concluded there was no benefit. These conflicting results pushed researchers to design and conduct the most scientifically rigid investigation to study prayer to date. It involved 1,802 coronary bypass surgery patients at six different hospitals from Oklahoma City to Boston. It cost $2.4 million and was paid for by the John Templeton Foundation and the Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation of Memphis. The results were a clear setback for those who believe in the power of prayer. Let's just say their prayers were not answered! The study found that prayers offered by strangers did not reduce medical complications of major heart surgery. Perhaps most surprising was the fact that patients who knew that others were praying for them actually fared worse than those who did not receive this spiritual support or who did, but were not aware of receiving it. The research trial was called STEP (Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer). The full report was published in the April 4, 2006 issue of the American Heart Journal, if you'd like to see all the details.

I'm not anti-faith or anti-God and I do not have a grudge against anyone . . . well, other than Dubya and his "can't wait to surge" cronies, but that's another story. Personally, I, too, call on the Higher Powers to help me through challenging times. However, we shouldn't confuse science with myth or facts with fables.

"In a world of medicine and technology," if all you have is faith, then you are one of the 46,000,000 Americans who currently have no health insurance, which brings us back to the faith-filled Dubya!

Finally, it's Frascino, not Franscino. So, I suggest you just call me Dr. Bob, OK?

hiv positive friend with multiple partners
AI for discordant couples