|Follow Up 3: Thinking of Checking Out of This Anxious Existence
Jul 13, 2007
Dr Bob, Few more weeks to go for testing. I am finally starting to get some relief from anxiety that I have been going through. I strongly urge others in the situation to see a psychiatrist. I have severe GAD and am being treated for it. I now no longer worry all day, but have had a sore throat (dr verified viral tonsilitis) on one side of my throat for about 4 weeks now. That is my only symptom. Drs cant figure out what is causing this. I am still confident that I have caught hiv from unprotected oral, but am dealing with it better. Please all ou t there get help if you need it.
---------- Follow Up 2 -Thinking of Checking Out of This Anxious Existence Jun 21, 2007
Dr Bob, Just wanted to give you an update that I am still around and have managed to find a psychiatrist and begin tomorrow(at a premium, but I guess it is worth it here) The symptoms are still here with throat bothering, constant headache, muscle pain, and sever night sweat last night. I will give you my update when the 3 months comes around, but I am positive I will be the one who has to tell you that you were wrong. I donated $100 to the cause and you can ensure that there will be a lot more coming if I can make it through all this and you were right. Keep on doing what you do. Post below.
Thinking of Checking Out of This Anxious Existence Jun 12, 2007
Dr Bob, Not sure what I am hoping to accomplish by emailing you. I dont think I will be able to go on anymore. My life is a wreck. I spend 90% of my time looking at ARS articles and the other 10% thinking of how to end it all. I am currently on travel to Asia and noone to talk to here. My story is as follows. Day 1 Met a girl at a bar. First night we came back to my place and she performed brief unproteced oral on me (30 seconds?) then protected vaginal intercourse. I have reason to believe she sleeps around, not sure protected or not. Day 15 armpits feel swollen and hurt. No swollen lymph. I dont think much of this, otherwise feel fine Day 17 brief sore throat for part of day Day 21 after reading on internet I am convinced I have ARS. I start to feel ill, armpits really feel swollen and I cant sleep. Loss of apetite. Day 23 finally get to go to Drs. They feel no swollen lymph in neck or pits. Dr tells me i have a low fever but doesnt speak great english tells me hiv is difficult for man to get from woman. CBC test negative for any bacterial infection. I go out and buy a thermometer that night and dont register a fever on it again. Day 25 go to another dr. No fever. No swollen glands. He tells me he has no idea what it is. I still feel feverish all day sweating and getting hot flashes even with no temp appetite low cant sleep after 1 night of night sweats with absence of fever. Day 26 throat starts to hurt. Day 29 throat pain starts to go away throat feels a bit swollen, but still feel feverish with headache, but no temp?? I cant understand that. So I know the symptoms dont mean anything and oral transmission chance is low, but this is way to text book. I know I have hiv and cant live on for 2 months before getting tested. I plan to make donation to you as I really dont need money anymore. You do a very great thing for people on here. I truely respect you. I only wish that this would not have happened or I would try to do some good in the world. Please respond. Lonely, anxious, stupid in Asia
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello Lonely, Anxious, Stupid in Asia,
That you met a girl in a bar, immediately went back to your room for nookie and now "have reason to believe" she just might sleep around a bit is indeed both logical and rational; however, the rest of your post and its assumptions are not! I'll make a few quick points:
1. Your HIV risk is negligible at best. Thirty seconds of unprotected oral followed by protected vaginal sex makes your HIV risk extremely remote at best, assuming the latex condom was used properly and didn't fail.
2. I agree with you that symptoms don't mean anything and oral transmission risk is low.
3. Your "symptoms" are far from textbook for HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). In fact, they are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS or HIV disease! For instance, your swollen glands are nonexistent based on the evaluation of two physicians and your fever was transient and low grade at best.
4. Your "symptoms" however, are indeed absolutely textbook and extremely suggestive of anxiety and irrational HIV fear.
5. Even though you "know" you are HIV and "after reading on the Internet are convinced (you) have ARS," I, on the other hand, "know" you are not HIV positive and that you do not have ARS. Would you like to make a wager about which one of us is correct? Remember, I have over a quarter of a century of intimate knowledge with this disease, have seen thousands of cases and have personally lived with the virus for over 16 years. So, do we have a bet???
6. I would strongly urge you to spend some time reading through the archives of this site. Yes, all of them! There you will find an amazing number of folks exactly like you with low-risk exposures who subsequently develop vague "symptoms" and are "absolutely convinced and 100% sure" they are HIV positive, only to find out three months later at the time of their HIV test that they are in reality HIV negative. I have absolutely no doubt you are exactly like them and, if you decide to stay around long enough to find out, will be writing me a heartfelt testimonial of your entire experience! I will then post it and hope that it helps others who find themselves locked in their personal worried-well hells.
If you are having difficulty coping with the stress and anxiety of the window period, get help from a physician or mental health counselor. Bring a copy of this post and my reply to your visit and discuss it with the doctor or therapist.
Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). However, much more important than that will be your ultimate realization that you are HIV negative.
I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive HIV test will be negative, as I very strongly believe it will indeed be! By the way, my good-luck karma has yet to fail!
I look forward to your WOO-HOO, which I'm sure will be a real doozy.
Be well. (Yes, indeed, you are well; worried, but well nonetheless.)
I felt a bit better for a day, but my throat continued to pain me as well as my right ear. I went back to Dr again day 33 and he noticed that my ear looked a bit infected. No temp or swollen lymph. He thinks it is probably a viral infection. Now I am thinking I have "this virus" again. I dont know why I am still being or getting sick unless I really have ARS. I have never been on/off ill like this before. Sorry to waste your time. I just have no one to turn to for help here overseas until I get back to America. I know I need help mentally, but there is none here in this rural town I am temporarily in. Do you know of any services I can call for mental help? I cant keep thinking this is ARS and am totally losing it at work. I know people suspect something is wrong with me. You dont even have to post to everyone if you want to directly send me some info. Thanks for your time. You are an inspiration to the human race.
Response from Dr. Frascino
I agree you need psychological/psychiatric help. If you are "totally losing it at work," and there really are no options for the help you need in your rural location, I suggest you take a vacation or leave of absence, if necessary, and get to a location where you can receive the medical attention you need. HIV is not your problem. Anxiety and irrational fear of HIV are. You need to seek help for these very real medical conditions. Psyches can get wounded just like other parts of our human anatomy. If you broke your leg, you'd have to be out of work for a while. The same could apply to your wounded psyche. It requires medical attention and unfortunately I cannot provide it over the Internet! What I can to is reassure you that your chances of having contracted HIV are so remote they are nearly nonexistent!
Response from Dr. Frascino
I'm delighted you found a psychiatrist to help you confront your unwarranted and irrational HIV fears. You may remain positive that you're positive. I, on the other hand, remain confident you are not and that your symptoms are primarily related to anxiety, not HIV.
Thank you for your donation. Generosity and compassion for others in need generates huge amounts of good karma. On behalf of those whose lives will be touched by your gift, please accept my heartfelt thanks.
Remember to take a copy of your questions and my responses to your psychiatrist and show them to him or her. This will help to focus your treatment and speed your recovery.
Keep me posted!
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Glad you're feeling better. By the way, even though you are "still confident" that you have acquired HIV from unprotected oral, I, on the other hand, remain convinced you did not. Shall we make a bet on who ultimately turns out to be correct? Remember, the odds remain astronomically in my favor of winning the bet!
Good luck. All will turn out well (including you!).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Psoriasis After Blood Splash Worried I Have HIV
- Red Eyes After Insertive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Condom Leak Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Touching Period Blood Worried I Have HIV
- Abnormal Cells In A Pap Test.
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.