HIV Test Results Are In

Dr. Bob! I just learned that my HIV status is negative. I've always known it would be negative, no risk factors-etc. But I wanted to say whoooo hooooo! It is so empowering to know one's HIV status. I thought I'd share with your audience. I am the HIV Education, Awareness and Prevention Coord. in SE Kansas who wrote a while back about the young woman who chastised you about abstinence only beliefs. Thanks.

Yes, knowledge is power and WOO-HOOs are nothing short of cosmically fabulous!

As for Dubya's "abstinence-only" poppycock, I think it's great that Bush's former surgeon general, Richard Carmona, M.D., is speaking out (albeit belatedly) on the fact that the Bush/Cheney administration would not allow him to speak out on the scientific facts related to "abstinence-only" as well as other health-related issues stem cells, emergency contraception, etc. Bush's politics-over-science fiasco is now coming to light. "Faith-based science" is an oxymoron. Bush is a moron period. And isn't it delightful that now Dick Cheney's popularity rating in the polls has fallen below that of Dan Quayle!!! Boy those Bushies sure know how to pick their "vices."

Response to Miss Waiting May 2, 2007

Well, Dr. Frascino, I've been reading your forum and find your answers always informative and right on the mark.

My questions / concerns have to do with abstinence-based education and also SEPs in that I live smack dab in the middle of the bible belt, a college-town in Southeast Kansas. I work for a CBO Health center as the HIV Awareness, Prevention, Education Coordinator. I feel a bit ineffective in the work at hand because of the attitudes I encounter in the field.

Miss Waiting sounds like a charming young abeit foolish, and uninformed, lady. Thank you for all of the hard work and honesty you always share with those people who feel the need to write.

By the way, I am a married man who loves his wife and even though I'm much older I've discovered that sex isn't "everything" about a relationship.

Sign me as:

Smelling the Flowers Along the Way.

Hello Smelling the Flowers along the Way,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I can only imagine (or maybe I can't) the challenges you must face as the HIV Awareness, Prevention and Education Coordinator in Southeast Kansas. I have friends who would rather have their ears removed with a cheese grater than try to do HIV awareness/prevention in a state that still questions evolution! You are to be commended! Even if you feel you are being "a bit ineffective," I can assure you that is not the case. Continue to smell the flowers while you do your vital work and please send my best to Dorothy and Toto too!

Be well!

You wrong wrong wrong!!!!!! Apr 29, 2007

You wrong wrong wrong about abstinence-only sexual education. There is solid proof that these programs are extremely effective! The teenage pregnancy rate is decreasing. Bet you weren't aware of that Mr. smarty-pants liberal know-it-all. Virginity pledges are the way to go! No sex before marriage ever!

Miss Waiting for my Prince Charming

Hello Miss Waiting for Prince Charming,

Actually I am aware of the sharp decline in teenage pregnancy rates in recent years. However, this is certainly not proof that abstinence-only sex education programs are "extremely effective!" In fact, if we look at scientific fact instead of faith-based fantasy, you would come to very different conclusions! For instance look at the article published in The American Journal of Public Health (Jan 2007) from researchers at Columbia University and the Guttmacher Institute. This study attributed 86 percent of the pregnancy decline to greater and more effective use of contraceptives and only 14 percent of the decline to teenager's deciding to wait longer to start having sex! Science once again clearly indicates that the current policy of emphasizing abstinence and minimizing contraceptive use should be turned around completely! Dubya's got the whole thing backwards once again!!! His policy of relying on abstinence-only sex education as the primary tool to reduce teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases is foolish, unscientific, and increasingly indefensible! By the way Miss Waiting, you do realize Prince Charming is only a fairy tale, don't you???? And as for "Mr. Smarty-Pants Liberal Know-It-All", that's Dr. Smarty-Pants Liberal Know-It-All to you!

Please help me understand Western blot results
Oral Exposure