Private Medical Testing Centers For STD's/STI's

Dear Dr. Frascino -

How reliable are the private medical testing centers that can test you for every STD/STI under the sun?

Here's what's going on with me and why I have some concerns...

I'm having a test done this Monday through A.I.M. I went with them because they test all the Adult Film actors and actresses who are currently working in the adult film industry and their prices are pretty reasonable. Now they are in Los Angeles and I am in New York City. They told me they have a draw center affiliate in New York City and they will Fed Ex my sample from New York City to their labs in Los Angeles and I'll get my results in 3 to 5 business days.

Here's where I get nervous...

I'm not too familiar with delivering blood samples from draw centers to the actual lab. Since the lab is across the country, can a blood sample 'go bad' between here and there? I mean, it's being 'Fed Exed' across the country, the package is going to probably sit around in the back of a hot truck, not to mention whoever is handling the package. I won't even mention how worried I am about stuff getting in the test tube that my sample will be in while it's being delivered - but then again, I guess I just mentioned it!

Should I be worried about all of this or are draw centers and testing sites like A.I.M. good for testing like this?

I sent you a donation to your organization a few weeks ago. It's what I could afford to send so I hope it helps. I think it's great how you address all of our concerns and answer all of our questions to put our minds at ease and educate us even more to keep us safe out there!

I'd apprecate any good karma you could send my way so everything with my test this week goes smoothly and my results come back negitive. (I performed oral sex on a professional female sex worker. You've already answered my question about that which was VERY helpful. The archives were very useful, too)

Thanks again!

LMHS5

Hello LMHS5,

Private medical testing centers are routinely fairly reliable in the United States. However, if you live in NYC, why would you send your blood all the way to Los Angeles for STD testing? Just because AIM (Adult Industry Medical) tests porn stars doesn't mean they are any better than other medical facilities in screening for STDs! I can assure you that many facilities in the Big Apple are just as capable of testing for "every STD/STI under the sun." Rather than waste time and money FedExing blood, I'd suggest you see a physician locally who could address your fears, evaluate your risk, perform a physical examination and arrange for whatever tests are warranted or desired.

Good karma sent, although I wish I could send some common sense and reason along with it!

fearing loss of control and putting myself at risk
i beg you for a breif answer