Any reason for PEP? Think I know the answer, but...

Hey Dr. Bob-Hope you are well-I think I know the answer to this one, but am seeking your reassurance. Last night-about 5 hrs. ago, I was visiting a buddy of mine who is Poz, and we were moving a potted plant (you know how we Gays love to re-decorate) when he lost his grip on the pot and scraped the back of his hand against the wall. He instinctively put his scraped hand (wound) to his mouth. Shortly afterword ( a minute or two) I was leaving, and we hugged and he kissed me, touching his lips against the side of my face/ear. My concern is this: if there had been any blood from his scrape in his mouth/on his lips when he kissed me am I at risk for catching HIV from him? My guess (from reading the Forum for a long time) would be that it would be highly unlikely since my skin was intact, HIV can't live outside the body for long etc..Am I right? ( I did sort of go all OCD and cleaned the area when I got home with alcohol-color me paranoid for a minute there!) There would be no reason for PEP would there? If you can answer I'd appreciate it. Whether you can answer this one or not, I will be donating (finally!!) with this paycheck-keep up your excellent work mon Gay frere! Be well! signed, Think I'm right in LA

Hello Think I'm Right in LA,

Your HIV transmission risk is completely nonexistent. No need for HIV testing and certainly no need for PEP! And most importantly, thank God that Potted Petunia has been properly placed.

Thanks for your willingness to help those in desperate need and I'm not referring to redecorating emergencies! (www.concertedeffort.org)

Be well. Stay well.

Treatment
HPV vaccine and cervical/oral cancer?