Jul 5, 2007
Is AIDS-Related Dementia caused by the actual HIV Virus or a low CD4 cell count? How does it affect the actual brain tissue?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
HIV-Associated Dementia (HAD) is caused by chronic encephalitis (inflammation of the brain) with progressive or static encephalopathy (diffuse brain disease) due to HIV infection of the central nervous system (brain tissue) with associated prominent immune activation. It is generally a late-stage phenomenon with CD4 counts less than 200.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Night Sweats After Oral Sex Hooker Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Oral Ulcers After Licking Vagina Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Rectal Bleeding After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Testicular Pain After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Sex With Hooker Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.