Catholic Doctor won't help!

Dr. Bob,

I have asked this question to my GP (I live in an Irish part of London - so not the best when you want impartial advice) and a sexual health helpline.

GP refused to even go into the matters of HIV and started preaching at me, and the helpline guys weren't entirely sure (not doctors).

Basically, I'm not in the best of health. I get constant colds, averaging 1 a month this year alone (7 so far!).

I am not worried about this in itself being related to HIV, but am more concerned with my immune system.

Would someone with a weak immune system not produce ANY IGG, or would you have to be seriously ill for that to occur?

On the big assumption I do have an immune deficiency of some kind, would my 4 week DUO and 16 week standard test still be conclusive (Hetero vaginal sex)?

I thought I had got over this but every time I am ill it creeps up on me again.

I ask you this due to your standing as an Immunologist and HIV expert. (And also because my bigoted GP judges me too easily!)

Thanks for your time, you help a hec of a lot of people.

Mr D.

Hello Mr. D.,

1. Frequent colds are not worrisome for a "weak immune system." Rather, they often are caused by allergy or low-grade chronic sinusitis or any of a number of other common conditions.

2. If someone did not produce IgG, he would be extremely ill with very significant infections (not just colds!).

3. Your HIV tests are conclusive.

4. I advise you to fire your GP and find a more competent physician. The one you have seems more intent on saving your soul than your life.

Dr.Bob=CNN HEROES NOMINEE
False positive then negative, confused and worried from Scandinavia Please help!