Catholic Doctor won't help!
Jul 3, 2007
I have asked this question to my GP (I live in an Irish part of London - so not the best when you want impartial advice) and a sexual health helpline.
GP refused to even go into the matters of HIV and started preaching at me, and the helpline guys weren't entirely sure (not doctors).
Basically, I'm not in the best of health. I get constant colds, averaging 1 a month this year alone (7 so far!).
I am not worried about this in itself being related to HIV, but am more concerned with my immune system.
Would someone with a weak immune system not produce ANY IGG, or would you have to be seriously ill for that to occur?
On the big assumption I do have an immune deficiency of some kind, would my 4 week DUO and 16 week standard test still be conclusive (Hetero vaginal sex)?
I thought I had got over this but every time I am ill it creeps up on me again.
I ask you this due to your standing as an Immunologist and HIV expert. (And also because my bigoted GP judges me too easily!)
Thanks for your time, you help a hec of a lot of people.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello Mr. D.,
1. Frequent colds are not worrisome for a "weak immune system." Rather, they often are caused by allergy or low-grade chronic sinusitis or any of a number of other common conditions.
2. If someone did not produce IgG, he would be extremely ill with very significant infections (not just colds!).
3. Your HIV tests are conclusive.
4. I advise you to fire your GP and find a more competent physician. The one you have seems more intent on saving your soul than your life.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Is The Incubation Period For Hpv?
- What If You Took Medicine For Chlamydia And I Still Have Symptoms What Does That Mean?
- What If Chlamydia Doesn't Go Away?
- What Happens If You Have Gonorrhea For A Year Without Treatment?
- What Are The Causes Of Recurring Shingles?
- Can A Uti Cause A False Positive On Chlamydia Tests?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.