Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV on swimsuits
Jul 2, 2007

A couple months ago I went to teh store and i was looking at the swimsuits, i tried one on and i didnt leave my underwear on, is it possible that could have gotten HIV/AIDS from it?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Once again the answer to your question was already waiting for you in the archives! See below!

Dr. Bob

bathing suit in dressing room Sep 18, 2003

Please help me! I have generalized anxiety disorder and would like to know my chances of getting HIV from trying on a bathing suit in a department store without underwear. I was in the department store yesterday and was trying on a bunch of bathing suits without underwear and my mother screamed at me and told me that I could get a disease this way. Is she right? Please respond!!!!!

Hi,

Your mother screamed at you in the department store? I'll bet that was more embarrassing than looking at yourself in the mirror after putting on that "itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow polka dot bikini." Relax dear, you cannot get HIV in a department store dressing room, unless, of course, you are having unprotected sex there with an HIV-positive partner in one of those cabins. Your mom (from whom you may have inherited your "generalized anxiety disorder") was probably more worried about your catching crabs or scabies, not HIV. If she was concerned about HIV, she's the one who should be signing on to this site! As for trying on bathing suits without underwear, I'd say your biggest risk is being seen on those dressing room video cameras that were installed to prevent shoplifting!

Dr. Bob

Please Help Oct 26, 2004

Me and my friend were trying on different bathing suits. She picked one and tried it on without wearing an underwear and put it back on the stand. A second later I tried the same one (also without my underwear and without knowing that she has tried it on a second earlier). I do not know her HIV status and was wondering if there was a possible risk of transmission thru sharing of bathing suits in this fashion

Hi,

Now you both read that sign that said you were supposed to try on bathing suits only if you had underwear on, didn't you?? Hmmm, I thought so. OK, well that sign has absolutely nothing to do with HIV, because HIV cannot be transmitted from sharing a Speedo. However you should still leave your undies on when trying on swimsuits because there are other nasties that might be transferred, crabs for instance.

Well, surfs up, so go catch some waves and stop worrying.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HCW exposure (OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE, PEP)
Next
constellation of symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.