In as little as twenty minutes...

Dear Dr. Bob, This website, and much of the forum content, kept me from going completely insane while I waited out the window period. I took an OraQuick HIV 1/2 test 83 days after an unprotected encounter with a heterosexual white female. I am a heterosexual white male, 20 years old, in college, circumcised... it was highly unlikely I contracted the virus, but I'm evidently a hypochondriac. My question, though, is about the OraQuick test. If the reading is clear after 20 minutes, is it possible that the reading could change after 30-40 minutes? I'm assuming that if the test is reactive and positive, both lines would show up at the same time. If there is a possibility that one shows up and the other takes more time, then I'll go get an ELISA. The reason I ask is because I went to a youth clinic near my school, it's HIV Testing Week, and the place was mildly busy. They seemed to be pushing the 20 minute mark a bit. Basically, I don't have HIV. I know. I would like to think that the FDA would catch something like this, but bureaucracy has a way of overlooking the details. So, I figured I'd ask about the basic mechanics of the OraQuick test. Thanks for your dedication and patience with all of us worried wells. Alex C.

Relax, Alex! Your test is conclusive and definitive. I agree you don't have HIV! No additional HIV testing is warranted. What is warranted, however, is that you stock up on latex condoms and water-based lube to prevent future bouts of post-sex panic!

Stay safe. Stay well.

resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum
Still the best