The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Got a positive HIV result...

Jul 1, 2007

I was tested on june 5th and went for the results on june15th and unfortunetly came back positive, obviously this has been a terrifying thing for me since im kind of ignorant when it comes to that sickness (I dont know much about it) the thing is that I feel better than ever right now and for some reason something has been telling me that the result its not true although Ive had unprotected sex before... I really think im not infected with the virus, should I get a second opinion and get tested again? My doctor already gave me treatment, should i start tacking my medications or should I first be completely sure about this? thank you very much I really Appreciated

Response from Dr. Frascino


A positive HIV test must always be confirmed. If positive, additional studies, including a CD4 count and plasma viral load, should be done. If, based on those results, HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) is warranted, I would recommend a resistance test to help determine the best antiretroviral regimen. I also strongly believe all HIV-positive folks should be under the care of an HIV/AIDS physician specialist. Check out the information on The Body's homepage under the "Quick Links" section. There you will find whole chapters on "Just Diagnosed," "HIV Testing Basics" and "HIV Medications" among other topics.

Don't begin any medication until you are confident both in your diagnosis and recommended treatment.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Losing it Doc!! Thank you!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint