Dr. Bob - You are the best

Hey Dr., its the "Slipping Away from Sanity in Seoul" guy again.

Yes, yes - the poor gesticulator who ended up in a Beijing brothel after trying to tell his cabbie he was hungry and said "ah, what the hell".. (upon further retrospection I realized that the Japanese/Korean way that you pantomime holding a bowl to your mouth and shoveling food in with chopsticks to indicate 'eating' looks suspiciously like fellatio. Anthropology thesis, here I come! Uh, so to speak. Hmmm.. Better contact Lonely Planet!!)

I just want to thank you for what you are doing here - this is one of the most amazing websites I have ever encountered.

I have learned so much about this epidemic, and I will be passing on as much as I can to those around me.

I am still awaiting my test results for the one week post exposure PCR, and I will be following through with a 3 or 4 week (a majority of people develop antibodies at this point, right?) and then 3 month conclusive ELISA, as seems to be recommended here.

I just read the posting that the conservative republican dirtbag America-ruining ***hole just wrote you, and it angered me enough to donate more to your foundation in retaliation.

As a long-time international, I can tell you that people like him have been destroying the US's reputation worldwide, not to mention THE WORLD.

People like you, however - kind, caring, gregarious, highly educated, and out to change the world for the better represent everything that people think is good about the US.

Thanks again for your help, and for this site, and I will report back with a limited partial WOOHOO if I make it through this first RNA PCR, saving the big WOO HOO for my 3 month antibody test.

Take good care Doctor, and thank you for what you do.

PS - is there a way to donate directly to a "Buy Dr. Bob dinner fund?"

Hi gesticulator,

The time delay from infection to positive HIV test, i.e. detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies, averages 10 to 14 days with the newer test reagents. However, some folks may take longer to seroconvert. Consequently we recommend three months for a reliable test. Technically speaking, PCR technology could pick up HIV infection even sooner; however, I don't recommend PCR for routine HIV screening due to the rate of false-positives, other technical concerns and cost. In other words, it's the three-month negative ELISA that should trigger your WOO-HOO.

Thanks for your kind comments and donation! I've always found that whatever one gives in the spirit of generosity and compassion is returned a thousand fold.

Regarding that upcoming WOO-HOO, I'd suggest you definitely verbalize rather than pantomime it. Otherwise you might wind up being bound, gagged and turned over to Doris the Dominatrix who would then try to pleasure you by whipping you with wilted celery. (Another chapter for your anthropology thesis perhaps!?!)

Good luck. Good karma. Be well.

P.S. A "buy Dr. Bob dinner fund?" Hmmm . . . now there's an idea!

paranoia
Losing it Doc!!