Mother concerned about her son's mental state

Dr. Bob, I would liketo start off by saying that you are doingg a wonderful service on this website. I hope you stay well. I am writing to you because I'm am worried about my son. He says that he has written to you since March but never recieved a response. His behavior is worrying me a great deal. He stares out the window as if in deep thought worried that he might have HIV. I told him he tested negative at 3 months but he still is scared he might bea late seroconverter. I wanted to know if you could put his fears to rest and answer his question.I will repost what he wrote below. Please doctor I implore oyu to please answer his question. I'm sure it would help him a great deal and help me as well because I can't bear to see him suffer like this. Stay Blessed. I wanted to know if my fear of being infected with HIV are warranted. On Jan. 7 2007 i was in Douala, Cameroon which is in Africa. I was drinking a little and stupidly went to a prostitute which I normally would not do. We had protectedvaginal intercourse for about 5-10 minutes. She had streched the condom a little but it had no visible holes in it. During that time I realized that the condom was not lubricated. I felt the condom which I assume had the lady vaginal fluids on it and with the same hand I stupidly licked that hand to put saliva and lubricate the condom. I did not ejaculate. Afterwords I washed my penis with water but i think i rubbed it with the same hand i licked. Right after i was done i was scared out of my mind that i had HIV. On thursday Jan 18. 2007 I developed a diahrrea. I was hoping it was from something i ate. 2 weeks to the day I went to the prostitute, I got a fever for about 12 hours. I was going crazy because i was hoping not to get a fever. I read that diarrhea can cause fever but it never has happened to me before. The same day i was leaving to go back to America. Then while in the plane I felt the feeling like I was cathching a cold. It is the same feeling I always get when I get a cold. However i never had a fever preceding it. I kept feeling my lymph nodes to see if they were swollen and I think they were. Those were the only symptoms felt. I had the sore throat for two days. And the fever for about 12 hours. I wanted to know if i could have been infected with the hand i licked and got HIV from my mouth. I am very scared and thats all i think about. I know Africans have the highest HIV infected rate. i took a Oraquick and ELISA test which cam out negative at 3 months April 9.Do my symptoms sound like HIV-2? Does Ora Quick and ELISA detect HIV-2? Does anyone know that stats of people who test HIV positive at six months after testing negative at 3 months? Also about four or five days before Jan 7 i got sick because i drank bad water. Would that have messed up my immune system causing mye not to create antibodies by 13 weeks Also would tylenol cold and flu pills or Larium maaria medecine delay seroconversion

Hello Concerned Mom and Worried Son,

I have not responded to this specific question, because I have answered so many very similar questions in the past and these answers are readily available in the archives. Have a look! I really have nothing more to add; consequently, I'll be brief in responding to your specific concerns:

1. Do your symptoms sound like HIV-2? No.

2. Do OraQuick and ELISA tests detect HIV-2? Yes for OraQuick and yes for some, but not all, ELISA tests.

3. Would your intercurrent illness "mess up (your) immune system causing (you) not to create antibodies?" No. The immune system doesn't work that way.

4. Do Tylenol cold and flu pills or Lariam delay seroconversion? No.

Worried Guy, your worries are completely unwarranted. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. If you are having difficultly accepting your definitive HIV-negative status, despite overwhelming evidence, you need to seek the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist to help you confront your irrational fears.

You should be WOO-HOOing, not worrying. Anxiety, not HIV, is your problem.

Suggestion not question
Comment only