My experience in Central America

Hi Dr. Bob:

Two weeks ago, after drinking a lot, I ended up having sex with a stripper (the classical and not so smart a lot of alcohol + stripper/sex worker combination). During this encounter my condom broke (I didnt notice until it was over) so Im assuming I got exposed to her vaginal fluids for at least a couple of minutes. These last few days Ive been reading through the archives so I know that my incident puts me in the unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex category with a probably less than 5 per 10,000 exposures risk because I have no idea about her status. You must hear this a lot, but this is the first time I find myself in this situation and the anxiety that comes with knowing that I have to wait 3 months to get a definitive test result is not nice at all. Ive always been somewhat obsessive, so I guess that doesnt help much either. Ive followed your advice about reading the archives and Ive found that it indeed has helped me in lowering my anxiety but what I think is more important is that Ive also learned a lot of things concerning HIV that I didnt know before. I live in Central America and as Im sure is the case in many other countries in this region, most people in my country know from very little to nothing about HIV and perhaps in most cases what little they know are mostly myths. Ill keep visiting the forum during this 2 and a half months that I still have to wait to get tested and Ill try to share all Ive learned with as many people as I can. Oh and last but not least Id like you to send me your good luck karma! Hopefully Ill be sharing the good news with you in a couple of months!

I want to tell you that I think you are doing a great job and that I really admire your dedication!

Su nuevo amigo,

Francisco.

Hola Francisco from Central America,

Thanks for writing in and sharing your story and a particular extra thanks for using the archives so effectively! You have correctly identified: 1) your risk category, 2) the estimated statistical risk associated with that category and 3) my advice for follow-up testing. BRAVO! I wish the thousands of other questioners anxiously waiting for a personal response from me were equally as resourceful. Hopefully your post and testimonial will help remind them the information and/or reassurance they seek may well already be waiting for them in the archives only a double click away!

Francisco, my good-luck/good-health karma has been signed, sealed and sent. I'll be looking for that Central American WOO-HOO! in 2.5 months.

Be well. Good luck.

My lover's penis smells like onions and chilli powder.
woooohooo!! Results are back, thanks for the support Dr Frascino...