Possible exposure and symptoms 2.5 months out from hetero contact?
Jun 22, 2007
I hate to sound irrational, but I really am curious about your opinion on a possible HIV exposure. Please allow me to explain the scenario.
I am a married British military pilot who was recently in Reno, Nevada for work in March. One night, after far too much to drink, I met a woman and went to her place for a sexual encounter. I had a rather long and extremely drunken heterosexual contact with a female towards the end of March - hours of protected vaginal sex during a period that was the begining of her menstruation. This included unprotected receptive oral sex and some digital stimulation as well. I know some blood residue remained on my leg in the morning (gross), but I have little reason to think my condom failed, and any non-protected contact would be purely accidental and unnoticed. The point is, we were both absolutely wasted - a regrettable one night stand. Apparently, she was two months removed from a negative HIV test. I am an ohterwise monogamous partner and have not been exposed to HIV since my last negative test in April of 2006.
Four Days later, I woke up with a rather intense fever that lasted scarcely a night - followed by about 5 days of a general cold and sore throat. Some of my work colleagues reported similar symptoms, so I did not worry a terrible amount.
I had an AIDS test done for my flight physical roughly 50 days after this exposure. Given the sloth-like pace of the medical bureaucracy, I likely will not know the result for three more weeks. This Sunday, (80 days after my exposure), I developed a persistent dull headache that has lasted the past three days. I spent the weekend drinking excessively and flying at high altitudes, but I digress - I have never experienced such symptoms, and I drink hard and fly for a living.
My questions are as follows:
1. What is your assesment of my HIV exposure risk?
2. Might my "symptoms" be primary HIV exposre related?
3. My test was done 50 days after sexual contact - when should I get another one, if this one is indeed negative?
4. Might I be infected with a different type of STD? (I have no physical symptoms other than those listed).
Regardless of my predicament, I genuinely appreciate the good counsel and dedication you have shown to this forum. You are doing God's work, my friend, and I will donate accordingly. Thank you for your time.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello British Fly-Guy,
2. "Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. It is far more accurate to assess risk, rather than interpret symptoms.
3. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. A negative test at 50 days would be encouraging, but not definitive. You'll still need a three-month test.
4. Unlikely, from what you describe.
I'll send my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative.
And Ron, one more thing. You mention "I drink hard and fly for a living." I must admit that's a bit worrisome to those of us seated in the back with our seatbacks and tray tables in their full upright and locked positions.
Stay well, Fly-Guy.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Rectal Bleeding A Sign Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Swollen Lymph Nodes Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Do People Catch AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Flu Symptoms After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- White Spots After Blowjob Worried I Have HIV
- Are Lymph Nodes Painful With Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.