Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I lost everything?
Jun 22, 2007

Dear Bob

It is more than 8 weeks that I read every single answer and comment @ your site and I would like to thank you for your work to this world.

8 weeks ago I had a bad experience with broken condom while having 5 minutes vaginal sex with Thai bar girl ( unknown status). Since this moment my life collapsed and I lost almost everything. ( my girlfriend my daughter- loosing my job and most of all my sanity). I started 28 days PEP Combivir within 18 hours and Kaletra within 84 hours ( when I came back home). I had a follow up tests : 0 , +2 negative. On week 3 I started experience bad symptoms : sore throat, maybe low fever ? 2 night sweats, and some days stiff neck from one side. All these lasted one week but there were enough to drive me crazy. I called my Doc and had a negative a negative P24 + antibody one week afterwards. One my follow up test at week 7 post exposure again a negative P24 + antibody. ( all in VIDAS 4th generation) My Doc says that all look very good but my anxiety and guilt made me to loose more that 25Lb till now, no interest in life and weeks of insomnia and lost sanity. Dear Bob what do you think? Please HELP ME

Next week I get 40 but I am not sure about my life anymore. Thank you from deep in my heart A lost soul

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Lost Soul,

Let's review the facts:

1. Your HIV risk is unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex (condom failure) with a partner of unknown HIV status.

2. The estimated per-episode risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive vaginal sex is 5 per 10,000 exposures to an HIV-infected partner. Your estimated risk would be less, as we don't know the status of your Thai gal-pal.

3. You began PEP within 18 hours of the potential exposure and took a full 28-day course.

4. Repeated fourth generation HIV tests have been negative out to week 7.

5. Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome) "maybe low fever, 2 night sweats, some stiff neck on one side . . . ."

At this point I very much agree with your doctor. Your risk of being HIV positive is extremely slight. Your anxiety is way out of proportion to this minimal risk. I have no doubt your anxiety, guilt and depression are the cause of your symptoms. I strongly urge you to seek the help of a psychiatrist to help you cope with these psychological issues. It really is the best way to health and happiness.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
STUPID Questions
Next
Contract HIV over hemroids - please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.