Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Slightly concerned female
Jun 21, 2007

Hi...I appreciate your site and input. It's good to get information in an informative and non-alarmist fashion.

My issue is not unlike those of others (though there are far fewer women who pose questions: maybe sort your topics by adding a section for women only?), and I do have a history of anxiety...so, fair warning.

I dated someone briefly...we discussed sexual histories as well as other histories...one evening only we "fooled around" and he briefly inserted himself and then pulled out. I am not discounting risk, but the duration was perhaps a second (no ejaculation..in fact, we didn't continue anything, not even with a condom) and he had recently tested negative, though was not high risk to start. I also recently tested...

I realize that you recommend testing in situations such as these. Because of my anxiety, it would probably be a good idea take one...but, geez...

Anyway, thanks in advance. Would love to donate...

Malamu

I've only recently become sexually active again after a six-year hiatus...after having and caring for my son, who is now five...so, reentering alone is scary, and then there is HIV/AIDS.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Malamu,

Non-alarmist fashion, yep, that's me. Although it does kind of sound a bit like it could also be next year's haute couture on the runways in Milan and Paris. Actually finding the right balance between educating those who feel HIV could never happen to them ("It's Africa's problem, isn't it?") and those who feel HIV is stalking their every move can be challenging!

Your HIV risk, a single one-second unprotected in-and-out vaginal thrust with someone not felt to be a high risk, is indeed minimal at best. However, because it was unprotected, we can't say the risk was absolutely nonexistent. Therefore, in light of your history of anxiety, I would suggest you get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put any residual fears permanently to rest.

Thanks for your willingness to make a tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation to help those in desperate need. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test will be negative. I'm quite sure it indeed will be.

Finally, now that you are reentering the world of sexual encounters, I suggest you stock up on latex condoms and water-based lube. Did you know that 90% of American women carry lip protection in their purse, but only 10% carry HIV protection?!?

Be safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank You
Next
Unusual Transmission pt4, Return of the Jedi

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.