Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

abstinence vs. protected sex
Jun 21, 2007

Okay, I didn't really word the subject how it needed to be worded, but I was wondering about a few things.

I am a Christian, and I'm going to teach my children the value of waiting for marriage. However, I am still going to explain the importance of condoms to them as well.

My question to you is:

1. Do you tell people only about protection, or do you also advise abstinence when it comes to prevention of STDs?

2. When you give advice to people for counseling, do you recommend only psychiactric help, or do you also suggest spiritual support for people as well?

I have read many of the answers you give to people, so I was just wondering what kind of perspective you had on the questions stated above.

One finsl question:

3. Do you think more funds should be spent on treatment of HIV and infections associated with it? Or... Do you think there should be more spent on sex education and prevention?

The reason I ask this question is because sex is like cigarettes and alcohol; despite the warning label, people just aren't going to stop. All too often we hear things but just don't "listen"

Anyway, those are my questions. Sorry about being so long-winded. Just tell me where and how I can make a donation.

Sincerely,

Joe

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Joe,

1. I have nothing against abstinence! It's just unreasonable to expect most healthy horny people will choose to remain abstinent until their wedding night. Especially since guys like me aren't even allowed to get legally married in 49 states! Consequently, I support appropriate STD and pregnancy prevention ("abstinence plus"), rather than "abstinence only!" Abstinence plus teaches abstinence as one option and also teaches condoms and contraception should one eventually choose not to be abstinent. To me that's just common sense, which is probably why Dubya can't understand it.

2. If someone has a psychiatric problem, they need a psychiatrist! Similarly if someone has a broken bone, they need an orthopedist. I do have some difficulty referring a sexually confused or conflicted person to a Catholic priest who has never had sex and who gives harmful advice about homosexuality, condoms, contraception, etc., etc., etc. Sexual problems are seldom ameliorated spiritually in my experience. In fact, often the reverse is true.

3. This is not an either-or type of question. More money needs to be spent on both. You cannot fight the pandemic effectively with only one of these crucial components.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Good luck, Joe. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
dr. bob ur god for me
Next
PCR/DNA testing for HIV & Oral Sex Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.