Female needs some clarification! Please!

Hi Dr. Bob! I apologize in advance because I know right now you are probably rolling your eyes and saying something like, "another neurotic female!!". BUT, here is my question/scenario...I am a 24 year old, white female...On January 19, I THINK i may have had unprotected sex with a friend of a friend...I cannot remember because I did have a few alcoholic beverages...but the intercourse was very short..maybe like 10 minutes at the most, I do remember that part! This guy was a friend of a friend (white, 25 years old, educated, etc..i know that may not matter, but for statistical reasons..blah blah). Anyhow, on day 16 (Feb 3) I was feeling a little nauseous towards the end of the day and woke up in the middle of the night with diareaha and vomitting and those lovely cold sweats). I was tired the next day, but I don't think I had a fever..that is how long this sickness lasted. Does that sound like ARS? I then got tested at day 88 on April 17 at a planned parenthood in PA. The test result came back negative. It was a blood test and on the sheet with the non- reactive result was this... "EIA HIV 1". The woman who gave me my results at Planned Parenthood said I should come back at 6 months to be sure of the negative result. I then became paranoid because I started to think that this test could have been old and not reliable at 3 months so i called the number on the test result sheet that belonged to the Center for Disease Detection in Texas...http://www.cddmedical.com/...I called them to see what generation tests they use and they would not give out information to me. I then called Planned Parenthood and the woman was not very knowledgeable and told me she did not know and would get back to me. She never did. She also told me they stopped using the blood tests because they took too long for the results (mine took 2 weeks). What are you feelings about my situation? Have you heard of this CDD in Texas?? Can I woohoo or should I go back again? I would really like to stop fixating on this! I think you do a wonderful job and you really are a blessing to society! Thanks so much Dr. Bob! Please let me know where I can send a donation to your foundation!

I would advise that a negative EIA HIV test on day 88 after someone "thought they may have had unprotected sex with a friend of a friend" is definitive and conclusive. If you want to repeat your test at the six-month mark, that option is always open to you. Some published guidelines suggest a six-month follow-up test. Personally I don't feel it is needed. You can read more about HIV tests in the archives.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

The foundation's address is:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024

Be well. Stay well.

Negative test, WOO HOO!
Why you don't answer questions...