PARANOID PORN STAR HASO ONE LAST QUESTION

Dr.

Thank you for your answer to my last question, from several weeks ago.

Round two

I seem to have a lot of irrational fears about HIV, especially considering I am a bottom. Granted, as you have often mentioned, whether someone is an experienced porn star or a newbie at sex, HIV is a concern for all of us.

I recently read an article from a well-renowned website about the HIV virus, itself. A doctor stated, HIV isn't that effective or strong compared to other viruses. The actual chance of becoming infected with HIV during a single sexual experience even with a partner who is known to be HIV-positive is rather low.

This boggles my mind. A dick has never been inside of my ass without a condom, but even if someone were to bareback, society is given such drastic explanations about the virus to believe that the moment you have sex with someone who is HIV+, you can bank on transmission occurring.

Also, considering I have oral sex rather frequently, I come into contact with pre-cum. The doctor on the above website also stated, the concentration of HIV in pre-cum is usually not high enough to pose a significant risk of infection. If pre-cum contains non-significant amounts of HIV, is it safe to say that a MAJORITY of HIV infections come from ejaculation in the anus???

Thanks,

Paranoid Porn Star

Hello Paranoid Porn Star,

I absolutely agree with you: whether you are a newbie first-timer or you've seen more ceilings than Michelangelo and done more banging than a screen door in a hurricane, HIV is indeed a concern for all of us. The risk of transmission for a newbie who doesn't use protection, because their abstinence-only sex education class never mentioned it, is at far more risk than the porn star who always dresses (in latex) for a "hard" day's work.

HIV is indeed more difficult to contract than most people fear. Just take a read through the HIV statistics section of the archives of this forum and you'll be amazed at the CDC's estimated per-act statistical risks for various unprotected sexual activities performed with confirmed HIV-poz partners. That said, I must also point out that the risk of HIV transmission remains very real and it can occur even with a single exposure. There are many factors that come into play regarding HIV transmission. These include both viral (viral strain, viral load, etc.) and host (host immunity, concurrent STDs, local trauma, etc.) factors. The challenge is to explain that HIV transmission is a clear and present danger while simultaneously not overstating its actual risk.

Regarding oral sex, this is generally felt to carry only a low risk for HIV transmission. This low risk can be even further diminished by not getting a mouth full of liquid protein. Pre-cum can contain HIV; therefore it is a potentially infectious bodily fluid. However, the concentration of HIV is generally much lower than that found in the blood or ejaculate.

"Is it safe to say that a MAJORITY of HIV infections come from ejaculation in the anus???" Nope. That would not be accurate! In reality the majority of HIV infections worldwide occur from penile-vaginal sex. If you were to limit your question to HIV transmission from man-on-man activity, they yes, unprotected backdoor action would definitely be the cause of most infections.

Porn star, I've discussed these issues many times in the past. Check out the archives. The information there should help address many of your irrational fears.

The bottom line on protecting your bottom (and negative status) is to continue to practice safer sex. Now weren't you supposed to send me some DVDs of you hard at work, so to speak?

Stay safe. Stay well.

inconclusive western blot (INDETERMINATE WESTERN BLOT)
Bloody Kiss- Is this a problem?