Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV FROM Cigarette Contamination.. PLEASE HELP
Jun 20, 2007

Dear Dr Bob:

I am constant worried 24/7. In early May this year, I was sharing a cigarette with a person who is HIV positive. About a week later, I came down with a low grade fever, chills, inability to sweat and recognize hot warm weather atmosphere.

Due date, I feel sick like I have a fever. I still have the constant chills and always feel very cold, despite warm weather. I notice hot, warmth feeling of clammy skin at the middling extremities of arms were elbow meets. I have never experienced these symptoms before and never had chills even during cold winter months of the year.

Can I have caught HIV from sharing a cigarette? We shared the same cigarette lighter and he lit my cigarette also while in my mouth.

With my doctor finding no other cause and explanation of symptoms, I am totally convinced its HIV. Is this possible? Please answer Dr Bob, more then happy to make a donation.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV risk is completely nonexistent. Your "symptoms" are not at all consistent with or worrisome for HIV. Even though I do not feel HIV testing is warranted, if you continue to perseverate on this non-exposure, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. It will undoubtedly be negative; however, it may be the most efficient and effective way for you to quell your irrational HIV fears.

As for being "totally convinced" you have HIV, please know that I am absolutely certain you did not contract HIV from this shared cigarette experience. If your doctor cannot find a physical cause for your symptoms, you should consider a psychological cause. Psychosomatic illness can produce a variety of symptoms, including those you describe.

Stop chasing a disease you do not have and begin to focus on a condition you definitely do have anxiety and irrational HIV fears.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV negative 13 weeks
Next
inconclusive western blot (INDETERMINATE WESTERN BLOT)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.