Nightmare (Can I pay using credit card??)

Dear Dr. Bob.

Yesterday,I had a sexual intercourse with a prostitute. I used condom but it slipped off in the climax of this relation (I was inside her with the condom slipped off 3 minutes). I am very afraid, I want cry and I want suicide because I know that I was infected.

1. Which is the treatment that may I be start??

2. How is my span life??

3. Exists a little possibility that I was not infected by the prostitute?

Thanks Zhork.

Hello Zhork,

1. If your potential exposure occurred within the past 72 hours and you feel there is a good chance you had a significant HIV exposure (prostitute being HIV+), you could consider a course of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). You can be evaluated and started on treatment at any emergency room, urgent care center or HIV specialist's office. Whether a course of PEP should be considered depends on the level of risk of the exposure. HIV specialists are probably test at documenting the actual level of risk and advising on the need for PEP. Even if you start PEP at an emergency room or urgent care facility, I'd recommend you consult an HIV specialist to review the PEP recommendations, optimize the regimen, manage any PEP-related side effects or toxicities and arrange for and interpret post-PEP follow-up testing. With a more thorough discussion of your potential exposure, it may become apparent that PEP is not even warranted. But PEP or no PEP, you'll still need follow-up HIV testing.

2. Your life span? It's fine if you don't worry yourself to death or commit suicide as your post threatens.

3. "Exists a little possibility" you were not infected? Actually "exists a great possibility"! HIV is not all that easy to catch. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected (or failed-condom) insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even less, as we do not know the HIV status of your hooker.

Zhork, you need to ratchet down the anxiety levels a few thousand points. Read through the archives of this forum. You should find the testimonials there encouraging and reassuring.

Regarding donations to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, yes, we warmly accept credit cards, PayPal, cash, money orders and just about all other forms of donations as well. Donation information is available on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your HIV tests will be negative and Zhork, I must say, you have one cool name!!

Good luck!

significant exposure / home access test
Comment, not a question