significant exposure / home access test

after recently learning of my partners hiv status (+) I immediately took a home access test which came back negative. We have unprotected sex 5 or 6 times in last year (I was insertive top, no heavy thrusting, no ejaculation). I know the estimate risks from reading the site. 1. in your opinion, does it warrant my getting a blood test from my Dr. or is the home access something you would depend on? I have heard different opinions. 2. I tested at 3.5 months but ready you often recommend at 6 months. What are the odds of becoming pos between 3.5 and 6 months. the counselor at home access mentioned 3.5 is pretty defininte. P.S. the test was easy and quick. This site is truely a blessing and I am sure my partner and myself will be referring to it often. I think I have a greater love for him now than I did before I learned his status. We will get through it together and I have definitely learned to be a lot smarter in the future. Thumbs up to you and this site.

1. Home Access Express Test kits use a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) with a confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescence assay). The sensitivity and specificity of Home Access tests approach 100%, making them very comparable to HIV-screening "blood tests from the doctor." I see no reason to repeat your negative Home Access tests with office-based blood tests.

2. Your 3.5-month negative test result is extremely encouraging. The CDC recommends you repeat your HIV test at six months to confirm your negative status as definitive, due to your known significant exposure. The odds of seroconverting between 3.5 and 6 months are extremely remote at best in my experience.

Thanks for the thumbs-up!

Good luck to both you and your partner. Remember opposites attract!

Hey Doc
Nightmare (Can I pay using credit card??)