significant exposure / home access test
Jun 19, 2007
after recently learning of my partners hiv status (+) I immediately took a home access test which came back negative. We have unprotected sex 5 or 6 times in last year (I was insertive top, no heavy thrusting, no ejaculation). I know the estimate risks from reading the site. 1. in your opinion, does it warrant my getting a blood test from my Dr. or is the home access something you would depend on? I have heard different opinions. 2. I tested at 3.5 months but ready you often recommend at 6 months. What are the odds of becoming pos between 3.5 and 6 months. the counselor at home access mentioned 3.5 is pretty defininte. P.S. the test was easy and quick. This site is truely a blessing and I am sure my partner and myself will be referring to it often. I think I have a greater love for him now than I did before I learned his status. We will get through it together and I have definitely learned to be a lot smarter in the future. Thumbs up to you and this site.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Home Access Express Test kits use a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) with a confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescence assay). The sensitivity and specificity of Home Access tests approach 100%, making them very comparable to HIV-screening "blood tests from the doctor." I see no reason to repeat your negative Home Access tests with office-based blood tests.
2. Your 3.5-month negative test result is extremely encouraging. The CDC recommends you repeat your HIV test at six months to confirm your negative status as definitive, due to your known significant exposure. The odds of seroconverting between 3.5 and 6 months are extremely remote at best in my experience.
Thanks for the thumbs-up!
Good luck to both you and your partner. Remember opposites attract!
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Get HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Blowjob From A Prostitute Afraid I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Red Spots After Genital Rubbing Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Blowjob Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.