Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tested at eleven week mark
Jun 18, 2007

Dear Doctor,

I am a young male professor at a university in Lima, Peru. I had sex with a young student (vaginal ONLY). She's 21. I know that this is not ethical, however, when two people like each other, well this usually happens... you probably know. I waited the window period, 3 months, nonetheless, to my surprise, I got PUZZLED about the 3 month mark! I thought that 3 months had passed. Well, as a matter of fact just 11 weeks had just passed. My female student reminded me our sexual encounter because it happened on HER BIRTHDAY! Yes, I guess it was a great memory for her, for me too, but a little worrying, though. I asked the lab. He told me that my exposure was low but not zero. I know that the seroconversion occurs mostly in a 2 - 8 month period. However, I am a little worried about my eleven - month Elisa of third generation's reliability.

I'm pretty sure that your expertise will provide me with a wise piece of advice,

I don't know how to contribute with a donation since I don't live in the USA. Just let me know how what I can do to send you some cash for your noble contribution to worried people like me.

God bless you doctor,

Antonio

(P.S. My eleven - week test was "no reactivo", si no habla español, it was negative)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Antonio,

The vast majority of HIV-positive folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibody in their blood within four to six weeks. Some folks take a bit longer for their immune response to kick in. For this reason, the published guidelines state that HIV antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not definitive or conclusive.

The estimated per-act risk for insertive unprotected penile-vaginal sex with a partner known to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even lower, as we do not know the status of your sexy student. Consequently I agree: your overall HIV risk is very low.

With this low risk coupled with an 11-week "no reactivo" test, your chance of being HIV positive are extremely remote. However, I can't change the guidelines' rule about what is considered definitive and conclusive. If I were to state that an 11-week test was definitive for you, then I would in essence have to say the same for everyone else.

Bottom line: do I think you contracted HIV from your extracurricular activities with the coed? No.

Can I certify your 11-week "no reactivo" test conclusive? No.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. We accept credit cards, PayPal, money orders, direct wire transfers, cash and just about anything else.

Stay safe. Stay well, Antonio.

Good luck. Good health.

Dr. Bob

Previous
wanna know you better (one of your lovers)
Next
Student scareed to shit of an encounter

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.