The WOO HOO heard around the world!

Dr Bob,

First and foremost I need to let out a big WOO HOO!!!! I just had my 13.5 week test and as you predicted, I am HIV negative. I'd like to tell my story so that maybe others may be able to relate and maybe take some comfort.

I went to Thailand in early March on a sex vacation. I'd never been there or done anything like that before and I was pretty excited. All the Thai women a man could desire in a week! It was a dream come true. My experiences included sex (protected vaginal/anal and lots of recipient unprotectd oral) with seven or eight Thai female bar girls. Needless to say, I had a great time. Two weeks later, I was singing another tune.

This is a list of the "oh my God, It can't be anything other than HIV" symptoms: week 2 - Sore throat week 3 - Severe muscle aches, diarrhea week 4 - Severe fatigue, loss of appetite,weight loss, and slight fever(along with severe stress/anxiety) week 5 - Rash on face and arms week 6 - Swelled lymph nodes in neck and groin.

What else could it be? I was sure it was HIV. Over the course of my ordeal, I was tested for mono, CMV, a full STD board, and a negative HIV test at week 4 and 8. I even had a Doctor tell me that since my mono and CMV were negative, I should suspect HIV because not many other things cause generalized adenopathy. That almost put me over the edge.

I think I pretty much hit all of the symptoms that I found on the internet that could be associated with HIV and/or ARS. I was an absolute wreck inside and out. Here are the things I did wrong: 1. I searched the internet for symptoms. If I found one on the internet, I soon started experiencing that symptom. 2. I went on several internet Health Forums and let other knuckleheads like myself diagnose me. I was diagnosed with everything from Lupus to male pregnancy to Lou Gehrig's Disease. That sent me further into a tail spin.

Here's what I did right. 1. I got the facts. I read a lot on thebody.com and learned from Dr. Bob just how risky my sexual behavior had been. Turns out, not so risky and the odds were vastly in my favor. 2. I truly learned that symptoms are "notoriously unreliable". I'm a perfect example of a WW. I had every perceived symptom and am not HIV positive!

Hope this helps anyone who is suffering from horrible anxiety and stress.

Thanks a million Dr. Bob! Your straight answers, patience, and uncommon generosity helped me through a very rough patch. I now know that I am not HIV +, no way, no how. WOO HOO!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Male pregnancy??? I told you not to visit those Fox News information Web sites!

WOO-HOO and congratulations. Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your experience!

Be well. (I'm sure you are.) Stay well. (I'm sure you will.)

Rheumatoid Arthritis
wanna know you better (one of your lovers)