Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Not in Archives! Molluscum contagiousm (sp?)
Jun 17, 2007

I'm a sexually active male who has NEVER had intercourse without a condom. In the last month, I've noticed that I've contracted molluscum below my belly button and on my pelvis and inner thigh. Reading up on this, some sites say this disease is associated with HIV. WHAT???? I'm totally freaking out Bob, my heart rate is going supersonic! Does this mean that I may have contracted HIV???

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Calm that "supersonic" heart rate down. The vast majority of cases of molluscum contagiosum have absolutely nothing to do with HIV! Molluscum contagiosum is a generally benign skin disease caused by a human poxvirus that is transmitted by close contact. And that includes sex! Swimming pools are another common vector for transmission. Skin that is inflamed or whose integrity is comprised in some other way is more susceptible. The incubation period is two weeks to six months. In most cases the disease is self-limited and resolves spontaneously in three to four months in folks with normal immune systems.

As for the HIV connection, molluscum contagiosum occurs with increased frequency in HIVers with advanced-stage disease and compromised immune systems. In AIDS patients the disease is more generalized, severe and persistent.

So does having molluscum contagiosum mean you have contracted HIV??? The short answer is no. The longer answer is nope.

Dr. Bob

Previous
doctor i apologize for hurting you reposting my question
Next
Blood work and HIV Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.