Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

GAY BOTTOM NO ANSWER FROM YOU YET
Jun 15, 2007

Dr.,

Let me begin by saying that I am definitely hoping to begin medication for my lifelong difficulty in dealing with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. The word OCD, alone, makes people sign and go, another Worried Well, eh? Not quite, only because I have reason to worry or doubt.

I recently had sex with a guy who later disclosed to me that he was HIV positive. My exposure was oral sex and protected receptive anal.

Believe me, Ive read the Forum. Pre-cum or no pre-cum, oral sex poses low risk. Protected anal sex is just that, as you say, protected.

With that said, does this indicate a warranted test or am I being ridiculous?

One last thing I often read, HIV is difficult to transmit. Yes, I agree, in the sense of hugging, kissing, etc. but my aunt, who is also a nurse, told me, Its kind of like the planets. They have to all be aligned in order to catch it. This being said, its not impossible to catch, hence the 45 million currently infected, but is it harder than most people think (sex-wise)???

God Bless,

BK

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi BK,

I agree oral sex is extremely low risk and "protected" is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. That said, extremely low risk is not "no risk." Consequently, since you are clearly concerned, an HIV test is warranted. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected receptive or insertive oral sex is 1 and 0.5 per 10,000 exposures respectively.

As you can surmise from these statistical estimates, the risk is indeed extremely low. That's an example of what one means when one states HIV is harder to get than most people fear. However, you are correct that we shouldn't give people a false sense of security. There are indeed over 40,000,000 of us who are currently "virally enhanced."

BK, I'm glad you've decided to get help from your lifelong OCD. Untreated it can make life quite miserable. (Just read through the archives and you'll see what I mean!)

Good luck, BK. I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV screening test will be negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Confused in testing (IDIOPATHIC CD4 LYMPHOCYTOPENIA) (ICL)
Next
where can i get an anonymous and rapid HIV test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.