Caring Testing Locations
Jun 15, 2007
I'm new to LA and really don't like my new doctor. He is very judgemental and not easy to talk to. In any case, are you aware of a location for testing where there is on-site counseling and the environment is pleasant enough to quell some of the testing anxiety (i.e. not a sterile factory of medicine)? Thanks.
Response from Dr. Frascino
If your physician is judgmental, you definitely need to find a new doctor with whom you can work cooperatively. Compassion and competence are certainly not mutually exclusive.
Regarding HIV testing centers "that are not a sterile factory of medicine," check out some of the options in the question from the archives reprinted below.
The F'd up system Jun 14, 2007
I was wondering if you know where I could get one of those rapid test
everyone talks about. The thing is that I have no money as in 'no
money' at all barely anything to feed my elderly mom and two
brothersand myself (have to work two retarded fast food jobs). In fact
I have to sit here at my friends computer becasue guess what...we don't
have one. But that's not the problem. Now I need either psychological
help or a test. I noticed that in the past I would always get these
anger/rage attacks and I can't focus anymore after I had sex
(protected). I KNOW it is impossible for me to have contracted HIV as
the condom never broke. So i wouldalways get a test to get my life back
together (that was when my dad was still there who insured us all
through his job). I live in Los Angeles and of course search for such
free testing places but....NOTHING. and I can't even get psychological
help. F the system. Bush and Schwarzenegger these poop-faced bastards
rather go ahead and bomb other countries from our money (yes they do
take taxes from my minimum wage) than taking care of us people who pay
them every month. I tried to commit suicide twice....I'm not proud of
it....but now I want to finally change all that....and the first step
is to be focused. So I really need that test or mental help. Then I can
help others again. Please let me (and everyone) who is wondering where
one can get tested for no charge. I live in LA so I would be intersted
in places here...but maybe you know some page where you can find
nationwide....for all the other folks in the USA.
Thank you for your time Sir,
Response from Dr. Frascino
Free HIV testing in Los Angeles is not difficult to locate! Be a bit resourceful! I just Googled "Free HIV Testing, Los Angeles" and got 1,130,000 entries! Give it a try!
For rapid tests, consider:
1. AHF's Prevention and Testing Department. It operates the largest private HIV and STD testing program in California. They offer testing in a variety of innovative settings, including Out of the Closet thrift stores, the Men's Wellness Center, West Hollywood Mobile Testing Unit, Magic Johnson's Mobile Testing Van and even in L.A. County jails! You can contact them at (213) 405-5800 to find a site nearby.
2. LAMBDA Medical/L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center, 1625 N. Schrader Blvd., Hollywood.
3. Minority AIDS Project, 5149 W. Jefferson Blvd.
4. Valley Community Center, 6801 Coldwater Canyon, North Hollywood.
There are many others to choose from as well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can Hiv Be Transmitted Through Male Nipples?
- Why Can't Herpes Be Permanently Cured?
- What Does Herpes On The Vagina Look Like?
- What Does A Syphilis Rash Look Like?
- Risk Using No Condom When One Partner Has Herpes But Not On An Outbreak
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Genital Herpes While Using A Condom?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.