|old condom(could be expired)
Jun 12, 2007
Hi Bob, First of all I would like to donate some money to your foundation. I will do it as soon as I can.You have been doing a fantastic job. Coming to my issue, I had protected virginal and oral sex with an escort about 2 months ago. The condom which used during this intercourse was old which I found in my cars dashboard. I think it is a year old condom and could be expired but i am not sure. During the sex, condom didnt break or slip off. After 6 weeks I took standard HIV test and PCR DNA test. Both came out negative. After 7 weeks I tool PCR RNA test and it came negative. I have following questions: 1. How risky and what are the chances of getting HIV? 2 How conclusive and definite are these test results?
Thanks in advance. rozin
| Response from Dr. Frascino
"Virginal" sex with an escort??? Hmmm . . . apparently she hasn't been an escort for very long. Eh?
1. Assuming the latex condom didn't break and was used properly, your HIV risk would be essentially nonexistent.
2. A six-week negative antibody test is encouraging, but not definitive. You'll need a three-month HIV-antibody test for a definitive result. I don't recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening, due to the rate of false-positives, other technical considerations and cost. (You can read more about this in the archives.) That your PCR-DNA and PCR-RNA were both negative is, of course, encouraging, but these tests are not recommended for routine screening.
Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test remains negative (as I'm confident it indeed will!).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can Expired Condom Cause Hiv Infection?
- Is Tingling Lips A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- Itchy Red Spots Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- How Do You Know If You Have Coated Tongue?
- Coated Tongue After Giving Handjob Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.