Jun 10, 2007
Why are folks at my church so concerned about the HPV vaccine?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Good question!!! Actually, I really don't quite understand exactly what it is that some parents don't understand about Gardasil, the HPV vaccine licensed last year to help prevent most cases of genital warts and cervical cancer!
The facts are quite clear:
1. HPV (human papillomavirus) disease is the most common sexually transmitted disease.
2. There is no treatment for HPV infection.
3. HPV can cause cervical cancer. (Seventy percent of cervical cancers are caused by two variants of HPV. The HPV vaccine protects against these two variants.)
4. Most people infected with HPV do not know they are infected, yet can transmit the virus to unsuspecting sexual partners.
5. Twenty percent of American girls 14 to 19 years of age are already infected with HPV.
6. The vaccine only works if administered before the women become infected by the viral variants covered by the vaccine.
So what about the objections being raised by some parents:
The most egregious is the ridiculous notion that immunizing young girls against HPV will encourage promiscuity. This is another fallacy proposed by the misguided "abstinence-only" folks. It has been scientifically shown that the abstinence-only message is rarely, if ever, effective. Half of American girls become sexually active before graduating from high school. Even if this weren't the case, why would a vaccine make girls sexually indulgent? Even rudimentary sex education knowledge would advise that HPV is only one of many potential STDs, and certainly not protective against unwanted pregnancy!
The backlash against HPV vaccines is yet another harmful side effect of Dubya's "faith-based science" mythology.
Is it 2008 yet?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Swallowing Sperm How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
- Too Scared To Get Tested After Condom Inside Out
- Touching Feces Scared I Have HIV
- Unprotected Anal Sex Negative At 3 Months
- Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation And HIV Transmission Risk
- What Are The Odds Of Getting AIDS From Oral Sex Hooker?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.