Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Coffe with Kurt from Palo Alto
Jun 10, 2007

Yeah, I could meet you for coffee at Peet's- the one homer ave? You like buff Filipino Stanford grads? Will Steve find out?

Hey thanks for answerring my question, but hey that flipped me out:

"Hi, Kurt in Palo Alto, HIV can be absorbed directly across intact mucous membranes. Damage and bleeding are not necessary!"

Firstly, why the exlamation mark?

Secondly, so does that mean I should worry about sucking a guy's dick? I play around a bit- assuming everyones Poz. Im a total top and fuck covered, but have never sucked a dick with rubber. Dont like spunk, and dont get any in my mouth but enjoy sucking.

So when are we meeting? Kurt

PS: No splenda non fat for me, just an expresso. ;)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Kurt,

Yep, Homer Avenue it was! As for liking buff Stanford grads, hell, what's not to like?

Regarding your questions . . . .

1. The exclamation mark is for added emphasis, silly. (Didn't Stanford teach you that?) Actually I typed it in because many folks are under the mistaken impression that damage to mucous membranes is required for HIV transmission to occur, when in reality it is not!!! (More exclamation marks.)

2. Should you worry about sucking a guy's dick? No, however you should be aware of the estimated theoretical risks for HIV transmission for this and all other sexual activities. Many folks feel the HIV transmission risk, while real, is so slight that it is an acceptable risk for them. An analogy might be driving five miles above a posted speed limit or deciding to speed-up and proceed through an intersection when the yellow caution light comes on. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected receptive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 1 in 10,000 exposures. Your risk would be even less if you don't know the status of your partner and don't get a mouthful of baby batter.

As for our rendezvous, we'll have to put that on hold for now. I'm typing this at 38,000 feet winging my way east for a few days of meetings. Give my best to the barista at Peet's.

Dr. Bob

the mouth- NEW question, I swear Jun 5, 2007

Hi,

This is not in the archives. I checked.

Does the mouth lining have to be damaged /bleeding for HIV to enter the body or can the intact mouth being a mucos membrane 'absorb' the virus in 2-3 drops of pre-semen?

Also, is the tongue a mucous membrane or not?

Thanks.

Kurt in Palo Alto

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi, Kurt in Palo Alto,

HIV can be absorbed directly across intact mucous membranes. Damage and bleeding are not necessary!

The tongue does have a mucous membrane.

I'm sitting in a Peet's coffee shop in Palo Alto as I type this! How's that for coincidence? You should have just come over and asked your question in person over a nice nonfat, one Splenda cappuccino!

Stay well, Kurt!

Dr. Bob

Previous
PCP, MRSA & CMV =AIDS?
Next
TONGUE/MOUTH QUESTION REVISITED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.