Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are you alright?- Concerned, From India
Jun 4, 2007

Dr.Bob

this is A from India!

I hope you are in extreme good health and doing just fine... I was concerned because i did not find any posts by you after 23 May...its been over a week, now!!

I mean, you inform people here if you wont be able to answer questions due to personal/medical commitments...Anyway, i am sure god must be taking good care of you, cause he knows people like you have the power and will to change the world.Moreover, you are a humble,gentle, and a beautiful human being, who has fought the virus with immense strength and led by example...I just love the way you are...You rock!!:)

My question is, I am a teenager, though not as handsome as you are, however, you know, i have that "girls appetite" :)

Is it advisable to test after each episode, even if you are protected with condoms and they did not fail?

I mean if i continue to take care and use them all the while, should i be tested?

Thanx a ton...god bless you and KEEP smiling, gives alot of people a ray of hope and strength ...

Your number 1 fan...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Number 1 Fan,

I was "out of pocket" for a week due to my travel and lecture schedule. I had planned to sign on and answer questions while en route, but as they say, best laid plans . . . . At any rate, I'm back (but getting on another plane on Wednesday, so don't worry, OK?!?).

Regarding your question, HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. So if a latex condom is used properly and doesn't fail, the HIV risk should be nonexistent. Should you be tested after every sexual episode? No, I don't believe that's necessary. Most guidelines would suggest that sexually active folks with multiple partners get an STD/HIV screen every six months. That seems reasonable to me.

Stay safe! Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Searched Archives...Can't find woman to woman transmission
Next
Hello from an ex-Worried Well

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.