Jun 4, 2007
I read your posting for May 11 regarding this.
What are the factors you consider as to whether men (particularly healthy, HIV+ men) should get Gardasil treatment?
I just received my first shot the other day, and intend to finish the last 2 (2 months, then 6 months).
I do not see the downside of being immunized against this.
Can you please clarify, etc.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
There are two potential downsides that immediately come to mind:
1. Cost. These are very expensive vaccines.
2. Safety and efficacy clinical trials of the vaccine in men have not been completed. A study is underway in gay men to determine if Gardasil will protect them from certain types of cancer.
As you are undoubtedly aware, the vaccine is approved (so far) only for girls 9 to 26 years of age. The CDC recommends routine vaccination for girls 11 to 12 years of age, before they become sexually active. A number of gay men, both HIV positive and negative, are lining up to get vaccinated; however, at this point there are no specific guidelines or recommendations to follow as Gardasil has not yet been approved for use in men. Stay tuned; I'll keep you posted as this story unfolds.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Loose Stool After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Night Sweats After Receptive Anal Sex With Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Licking Anus Worried I Have HIV
- Can Pap Test Show Signs Of An Std?
- Can Saliva Transmit Hepatitis B?
- Does Gardasil Work If Already Have Hpv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.