Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

safety of silicone lube questioned
Jun 4, 2007

Hello,

Here is a quote from a web site that sells lubes:

Silicone lubrications crystallize more than others. The crystals can cause cuts in the mucus membrane, increasing your risk of an infection with longer time to recover.

I direct an HIV prevention education program for a large hospital system, but I have never come across this information before. Can you tell me if it is true? I have been recommending silicone based lubes because my research indicates they are safer for many reasons. What is correct?

Thanks! Lew Alessio, Director just guys MaineGeneral Health Augusta, ME

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Lew,

I, like you, have never heard that silicone lubes crystallize or that they could cause cuts in mucous membranes! I would tend to strongly doubt these claims.

The "pros" of silicone lubes include:

1. They don't dry up, because they contain no water. Consequently, the long slippery stuff can stay slippery longer, so to speak.

2. They are less likely to cause topical reactions, irritations or "allergic" reactions (if they don't have additives).

3. Since they don't break down in water, silicone lubes can be used in the bath or shower or for any underwater fun.

The "cons" would include:

1. Silicone lubes are not compatible with silicone rubber sex toys or "cyber skin" sex toys.

2. Silicone lubes are difficult to wash off. Since they are not water soluble, they don't come off your sheets easily!

3. They are costlier than water-based products. (But then again, you can use less, so this may all even out).

4. They don't taste particularly pleasant.

I should also add a few other potential advantages I've recently discovered. Silicone lubes work great for full body massages. And if you put them on the bottom of a sled or toboggan before hitting the slopes, you can really fly!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Urgent Question: $100 donation coming
Next
Please help me....I'm worried sick!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.