Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Barber
Jun 4, 2007

I recently got my had shaven by a barber. He used a new razor. When he was shaving my moustache, he accidentally made a cut. When the blood started oozing, he removed a stone and pressed against it. He must have used the same stone to stop blood from other bleeding ppl before me. What is the risk of HIV from this incident. I gave the barber a new blade but his stone escapade is freaking me out..What are the odds of catching HIV from this freakish stone..Thanks a lot for this forum..will donate generously..KK

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi KK,

Cue ball with a mustache? Hmmm . . . sounds sexy!

Your HIV risk is so remote as to be essentially nonexistent. HIV doesn't survive outside the body and a "freakish stone" would be a particularly inhospitable environment for HIV. The only even theoretical risk would involve fresh HIV-infected blood coming into contact with a fresh open wound. I'm assuming the freakish stone was not dripping fresh HIV-tainted blood, right? After all, your barber wasn't named Sweeney Todd, was he?

If you remain worried, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. You might also want to bring your own septic pencil to your next close shave barber's appointment.

Stay well. Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Dr. Bob

Previous
YOU DECIDE MY FATE
Next
Waiting for sky to fall!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.