Selenium deficiency directly related to AIDS? (AIDS DENIALISM)

Hello, Dr. Frascino! I love your work and your sarcastic sense of humor!

I just read a LONG article a friend of mine sent me that talks about how HIV is not the sole or direct cause of AIDS. Instead, HIV has co-factors, which could be other viruses or bacteria, that lead to AIDS because of a selenium deficiency in HIV-positive people. It argues that if HIV-positive people didn't suffer selenium deficiencies, they wouldn't progress to AIDS and the HIV virus wouldn't be harmful at all and that it's selenium deficiency - and not the depletion of lymphocytes - that leads to rapid progression to AIDS.

The article is entitled What Really Causes AIDS by Harold D. Foster. Sorry I can't provide a link but it's in PDF format and it's 213-pages long. It also gives examples of how some hemophiliacs who received HIV-positive tainted blood and became HIV-positive continued having sex with their wives for a long period of time because they didn't know they had become infected. Yet their wives did not become infected and the articles says it was because their wives had a high level of seleium and that the same goes for people in some parts of Africa. I think whoever wrote this article - or collection of articles - is one of those who are called AIDS denialists.

Well, my friend sent to me so I could read it and he said their arguments were very convincing and I think he might already believe everything the article says. He also said it's a different opinion from the long-held scientific view which says that HIV causes AIDS. What do you think?

Wondering in NY

Hello Wondering In NY,

The AIDS denialists' arguments are far from convincing to anyone who truly understands HIV/AIDS. I'd suggest your friend review the "Debunking AIDS Denialism" information that can be found on TAC's (Treatment Action Campaign) Web site at http://www.tac.org.za/debunking.html.

The links there are excellent and effectively debunk all aspects of the denialists' poppycock.

Have a look!

Extremely Confused!
HPV