Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Extremely Confused!
Jun 3, 2007

First I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy life to answer my question. I am a sexually active male that practices safe sex, therefore considered "low risk". After an annual HIV test I received an "indeterminate" test result, weakly reactive p24 on both Elisa/WB. After taking a second test one month later the results were unchanged. I spoke with a doctor who explained to me that just about everyone who has an "indeterminate" WB due to seronconversion will go on and convert within one month. I was told in all likelihood this is a "False Positive" result. I decided it was in my best interest for yet another HIV test this happened to be five and a half months out from my initial "indeterminate" result. Guess what the result was? I'll save you the suspense...same result. I'm sure you now understand why I am so confused. Would you recommend I take a fourth Elisa/WB test that would put me a little beyond this six month mark the CDC recommends? Should I request a viral load test or do I accept the fact that I am HIV negative with three serve anxiety causing test results?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The most important factor in evaluating indeterminate results is risk assessment. Folks like you in low-risk categories who have indeterminate tests are almost never infected with either HIV-1 or HIV-2. In some cases yours, for instance repeat testing may continue to show indeterminate results and the exact cause for this unusual pattern of testing remains unknown. I agree with your doctor: folks with indeterminate tests who are in the process of seroconverting will have a positive Western Blot within one month. I would recommend a DNA PCR in situations like yours to provide absolute assurance, not to mention piece of mind. I'm confident you are indeed HIV negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Feeling Wanglepecking Low
Next
Selenium deficiency directly related to AIDS? (AIDS DENIALISM)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.