Extremely Confused!

First I want to thank you for taking time out of your busy life to answer my question. I am a sexually active male that practices safe sex, therefore considered "low risk". After an annual HIV test I received an "indeterminate" test result, weakly reactive p24 on both Elisa/WB. After taking a second test one month later the results were unchanged. I spoke with a doctor who explained to me that just about everyone who has an "indeterminate" WB due to seronconversion will go on and convert within one month. I was told in all likelihood this is a "False Positive" result. I decided it was in my best interest for yet another HIV test this happened to be five and a half months out from my initial "indeterminate" result. Guess what the result was? I'll save you the suspense...same result. I'm sure you now understand why I am so confused. Would you recommend I take a fourth Elisa/WB test that would put me a little beyond this six month mark the CDC recommends? Should I request a viral load test or do I accept the fact that I am HIV negative with three serve anxiety causing test results?

The most important factor in evaluating indeterminate results is risk assessment. Folks like you in low-risk categories who have indeterminate tests are almost never infected with either HIV-1 or HIV-2. In some cases yours, for instance repeat testing may continue to show indeterminate results and the exact cause for this unusual pattern of testing remains unknown. I agree with your doctor: folks with indeterminate tests who are in the process of seroconverting will have a positive Western Blot within one month. I would recommend a DNA PCR in situations like yours to provide absolute assurance, not to mention piece of mind. I'm confident you are indeed HIV negative.

Feeling Wanglepecking Low
Selenium deficiency directly related to AIDS? (AIDS DENIALISM)