It would be so much easier if you were here to hold my hand...

Dr. Bob.

I know you're busy, so here's the skinny. I made out with someone about 10 months ago. I have oral herpes...no outbreaks at the time, however, I did have chapped lips and have a tendency of biting the inside of my mouth. (there was no active bleeding that I can remember, however, I believe that he used to use drugs...do not know his status.) Recently I have developed a small cold (symptoms all went away, except post nasal drip that won't stop). Do you think that I even need to be tested? I was thinking...a test after every kiss...holy cow! I mean I was on vacation, just trying to have fun...now afraid that it cost me. Anyways, if you could please answer. I know you are busy. I know this is trivial. I have sent you a donation...not much, but it was something. Thank you. You are truly a God-send.

kiss of death?

My assessment and advice haven't changed since the last time you asked this question. See below.

Stop worrying!

DONATION IS IN THE MAIL...kiss of death??? NEED YOU PLEASE!!! Jun 1, 2007

DR. Bob

I want to start by saying that I think what you do is amazing. I am sending a donation in the mail and hopefully it will arrive soon. I admire you for being so strong and open about your illness. You are truly a god-send. Thank you.

My question may be dumb to many people, however, that does not ease the anxiety for me. I have oral herpes (do not recall any at the time of the incident) nor any other open lesions, however, my lips were sun-burnt. I took part in french kissing with a young man, whom I believe may have used drugs in the past, however do not know if he is hiv + or not. I have been driving myself crazy, going over thousands of websites and I keep getting mixed answers. I had been drinking and do not recall any blood from either party, but I can not say for sure (because I had been drinking). Please Dr. Bob. I respect your opinion and if you could please give me your take on this situation. Many are telling me that I do not need to worry but I keep seeing these other situations where people say "do not engage in kissing with hiv+ people, because there is a risk." I just want to go back to having fun...never thought I had to worry about hiv through kissing. I'm scared because I was kind of seeing someone at the time and hope that I did not put him at risk too.

It has been 10-11 months since the incident and I am having extreme headaches. I had a minor headcold(that went away after about 1 week), I have phlegm build up in the back of my throat that will not go away. I wake up every day with a dry mouth and I have a sore throat on and off. And, I did a "home candida test" and that showed that I had candida. Does any of this sound like hiv? Did I put myself at risk by making out with someone who quite possibly had hiv? Please Dr. Please answer. I truly respect your opinion. Am I worrying too much or am I in need of testing?

Please Dr.

Sincerely, Kiss of Death?

Kiss of Death??? No! As the famous song goes, "A kiss is just a kiss . . . as time goes by!"

You read "do not engage in kissing with HIV+ people, because there is a risk"???? Hmmm . . . that would mean I shouldn't kiss anymore because I'm "virally enhanced!!!" Oh, Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum), my partner in kissing and much, much more for the past 13+ years, would not be at all happy with that situation!!! Please rest assured that we have a great deal of experience with magnetic couples (one poz, one neggie) like ours and kissing is not considered a transmission risk, unless there are bizarre extenuating circumstances. For example, if you're "necking" with Count Dracula and he decides to suck a pint or two of blood, well yeah, then there would be at least a theoretical risk. In your situation, your risk was nonexistent. Testing is not medically warranted. However, considering you have been so worried for the past 11 months, you could consider getting a single HIV rapid test just to quickly and permanently put these irrational fears to rest. HIV rapid test results are accurate and available in as few as 20 minutes. The results will unquestionably be negative.

Thanks for your donation! (www.concertedeffort.org) And don't forget: "You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss . . . as time goes by."

Stay well! (Yes, you are indeed well!)

pregnancy
BODY'S ARCHIVES