Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Bizarre but True - Not in Archives
Jun 1, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob:

A month ago I had a potential exposure receptive vaginal sex without ejaculation. The next day, I contacted a clinic, but was told PEP was not recommended, but a 3 month test would be. Two weeks later, I got my period (at least Im not pregnant), but, and here comes the bizarre part, my dog got into the garbage can and ate a fairly fresh (approximately hour after changing) sanitary pad. Now, I know dogs cannot contract HIV, but what worries me about this incident is that the dog has a habit of licking my son smack on the mouth, and I am frightened that this may have happened immediately after the pad incident. Would this constitute a risky exposure? Two weeks after this happened, my son came down with a febrile illness. His doctor ran a CBC and feels his illness is bacterial, but I did not tell her of the incident. Am I freaking over nothing, or have I placed my son in danger?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

So you are wondering if Fido's fetish for munching on used Kotex pads and then licking your son on the mouth might have put him at risk for HIV. Nah, it might qualify him for a spot on David Letterman's "Stupid Pet Tricks" segment, but it's definitely not an HIV risk.

Good luck with your three-month test! Consider getting Fido a rawhide bone!

Dr. Bob

Previous
thank you for your advice
Next
Worried for ages!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.