Worried Sick, recently tested

Dear Doctor,

I've written you so many times and you have never responded. Please help Me! On April 4th of this year I made one of the worst mistakes of my life. I had sex with a sex worker. It was protected vaginal intercourse (condom) and unprotected oral sex. I was so worried after it happened that I e-mailed her and she stated that she had been tested a couple of months ago and didn't have anything and not to worry. Approx 10 days later, It felt like I was getting a sore thorat and felt very dizzy and light headed when I would get up. I went to see a doctor and said I had no fever or swelling, did blood work and said that my white blood cell count was a liitle higher then normal (about 13 million or so) and he said this could probably be due to an infection. I took antiobitocs and after a few days felt fine. Ironically, my dizzy spells went away when I did a home test after 14 days and tested negative. A week later I started getting worried again and did another home test after 32 days of possible exposure. I read on the cdc site that the average time to show detectable antibodies is at 25 days. Do you think my negative result after 32 days is a good sign? Do you think I should worry? I've never had any other symptoms nor have I had any fever since the possible exposure but I can't stop thinking about it and how I put my career my loved ones at risk. It is something I regret terribly.

Thank you for all your work and I will be making a donation because your articles and words have helped me so much. I will never be able to thank you enough.

Sincerely, Worried guy

Hello Worried Guy,

If your white blood cell count was really "about 13 million or so," I would indeed be worried and not just a "liitle!" Chances are that 13 million was really 13 thousand.

Your HIV risk (protected vaginal, unprotected oral) is minimal at best, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail.

As for negative test results at 14 and 32 days, any negative test result is encouraging! However, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive. Should you worry? Nah! The odds you are HIV negative remain astronomically in your favor!

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your three-month definitive HIV test remains negative, as I very strongly believe it will indeed be! Good luck!

Time to be tested
thank you for your advice