Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need help for my buddy
Jun 1, 2007

Dr. Bob, First, I want to let you know my 3 moth test came back negative from the spitting hand massager. You were right. My donation should have made it to your organization by now, I hope it helps. I would like you to help me though if you could. A buddy of mine just got back from Iraq (his second tour) and while on the beach in Florida, he stepped on a syringe in the sand. I assumed the syringe was used since the cap was off. Also, it was buried about 1 inch in the sand. I told him his chances are remore for contracting HIV or Hep C because chances are the needle was there for awhile. Regardless, he is almost to the point of incapacitation from his irrational fear of contracting either of these diseases. I can sympathize with him, because I had those same fears. I did find comfort in your response to me though and I hope you answer me so I can forward it to him. Is this something he should be concerned about? Is testing warranted. I told him no for both, but I think a response from you will put him at ease (assuming what I told him was correct or you can correct me too!). I lovedthrough the archives and only found one syringe story, but it was a response in 1997. Anyways, if you could respond, I would greatly apprecite it. Thank you and peace be with you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Congratulations and WOO-HOO on your negative results! Thanks for your donation. I can assure you it will more than help. It will turn hopelessness into hope for some very needy HIVers.

Regarding your buddy, it's ironic he can survive the horrors of Iraq and then be reduced nearly to the point of incapacitation by irrational HIV fears! I agree with your assessment of his HIV/hep C risks. They are remote (which I'm assuming is similar to your "remore"). There are indeed a number of similar scenarios in the archives, but they may be a bit difficult to locate. Folks have told me they really enjoy and/or appreciate the wealth of information in the archives; however, you're the first who's told me that they "loved through the archives!!!!" Well whatever turns you on, buddy! Getting back to your buddy, in light of his extreme, albeit unwarranted, worry, I'd suggest that an HIV rapid test and hep C screen may well be the most effective and efficient way for him to put these unwarranted worries permanently to rest. HIV rapid tests provide accurate results in as few as 20 minutes. The results will undoubtedly be negative and he'll be able to WOO-HOO with confidence.

Good luck and good health to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
greeting from INDONESIAN fellow
Next
Transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.