PLEASE help

Hi Dr. Bob,

I've enjoyed your site for a while, but have a question. Hope you can answer.... although I'm pretty up to date on on things regarding this...

Anyway, last Sat. night I was alittle drunk and was very horny and ended up going to a bath house. I am 90% hetero, with only a few gay encounters). Anway, long story made short, I ended up having anal sex (I was the receptive one) with a guy. He was wearing a condom (I felt back every few seconds to ensure that the condom was still on him, it was) and it only lasted about a minute before decided that I was NOT being smart and I got off of him.

He took the condom off and went to get oral from another will guy. I'm pretty confident that he didn't cum inside of me, especially since he went to the another guy to finsh up.

I immediately went to the shower area and washed my anus with soap.

I know being on the receptive end of anal sex puts me in a higher risk factor, but I'm praying that I didn't infect myself. I'm freaking out at this point.

I know that symtoms show up within 2 weeks to 3 months... and that I should get tested at 3 months (and at the 6 month mark), but is there a reliable test that I can take in the next 2-3 weeks? Or do I simply have to wait until I test at 3 months?

PLEASE help!

Thanks a million.

If a latex condom was used properly and did not fail, your HIV-transmission risk would be essentially nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. If you feel you placed yourself at risk, you'll need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. I don't recommend PCR tests due to the rate of false-positives, cost and technical considerations.

Finally, if you practiced safer sex and are "pretty up to date on things regarding this," why are you freaking out?

That you felt it necessary to point out you are 90% hetero, despite going to gay bathhouses and having receptive anal sex makes me wonder if guilt and sexual orientation issues may be playing a part in your level of anxiety. Counseling may help, no matter which side of the proverbial fence you are playing on.

Contacting Dr Bob By Phone
Visa for HIV positive people.