|viral load- please help!
May 23, 2007
Could you explain the relationship of an indivual's Viral load and HIV transmission, if there is any? Is there a magic number below which one is safer? NOT that I would have unprotected anal sex, but I'd like to know a little more. Its seems to be a tabboo topic. I'm dating a guy thats positive and I want to cross check what he's telling me.
Many Thanks Doc.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
There are no taboo topics here! Just check the archives and you'll see what I mean!
The basic story with plasma viral load and HIV-transmission risk is quite simple. HIV-transmission risk decreases with a suppressed viral load. However, even when the viral load is suppressed to nondetectable levels, HIV transmission can still occur. Consequently safer sexual practices (latex condoms) remain essential for penetrative sex.
Stay safe. Stay well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Groin Pain After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Oral Ulcers After Fingering Stripper Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Getting A Tattoo Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Touching Vaginal Secretions Worried I Have HIV
- White Tongue After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.