Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried Here!
May 23, 2007

Hey there, thanks to you all for the great work and expertise on this great site. My name is Billy and I am from Fort Lauderdale, FL. I am HIV- and know that's greatly due to all the knowledge from each and every one of you. I read often about safety and keeping safe. I wanted to know if I am still able to ask a question even though I am Negative. If so, here goes: I went to a colon/rectal surgeon the other day for a problem I have been having. On the upper part of my anus, on the outside, closest to my scrotum, for the last 3 or 4 months it has been very sore on and off and I finally looked at it with a mirror. This is an area where I would develop small tears all the time from sex receptively from my partner of 12 years. It looks like a new flap of skin has formed there. The doc examined it and when he was done, he wasn't very gentle either, he had me get dressed and told me he had no idea what it was. He wants me to see his office partner on May 30th. I hate waiting. He said the entire outside of my anus was purplish and that new skin I guess I can call it was white. He said the outside and inside looked a little abnormal, but he said that could be due to being a receptive partner sexually. Is it normal for gay men to have a anus that is purplish? Then he told me I may have had/have HPV. I don't think that is possible because my partner and I have been monogamous for 12 years. He said this could lead to cancer. What??? He said there's a very slim chance the growth itself could be cancer or that the HPV could eventually cause cancer. Do you think all of these things could just simply be due to the fact I am a bottom? He really has me scared and worked-up about this. He was talking about possibly removing it and having a biopsy under general anesthesia. That REALLY scares me. Do you have any information on any of this, or words of encouragement? I really could use your help on this matter. Thanks for your time and all you do for us all.

Billy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Billy,

It certainly doesn't sound like your doctor has a very pleasant bedside manner. He also apparently did a piss-poor job in explaining what was going on. Considering he "had no idea what it was," it seems he scared the pants off you (well, I guess they were already off, but you know what I mean) with premature discussions of HPV, cancer, biopsy, etc. I'm glad you are scheduled for a second opinion. Hopefully this physician will be more competent and compassionate! Since this problem has been ongoing for three-four months, I see no harm in waiting until next week for your second opinion. Unfortunately I cannot really diagnose your problem over the Internet. Should you want to read up on HPV and its link to cancer, you can do so in the archives. However, I would encourage you not to get too worked up about this until you know exactly what your specific problem is, OK?

Stay well, Billy.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Same Sero Status Couple Drug Resistance Question
Next
pep refused- can they do that?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.