Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oral sex: Precum concern?
May 20, 2007

Dear Doc,

Yes, another question you've probably heard before that makes your eyes roll to the back of your head. But bear with me, sweet bums.

I'm a little tired of doctors everywhere announcing that oral sex is safer than anal sex. My granny could tell ya that.

My question: Although I ALWAYS practice anal sex with a condom and a lot of Lube, as part of foreplay I sometimes suck a guy's erect penis briefly. Certainly not till ejaculation, but to get his motor running, if you know what I mean. I dont have gum/ oral issues and avoid flossing/ brushing- so is that OK? Seems like everyone does it, its accepted part of foreplay but I read people have sero converted by performing oral even without ejaculation. I suspect that is attributed to precum. I know a fair amount of poz folk, but no one seems to gotten it from oral only. (Ofcourse, I dont ask people questions like this. Its what I read between lines.) So is brief oral with good oral health and no semen an issue for HIV transmission?

Thanks Doc,

Worried Gay Boy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Worried Gay Boy,

First off, what did I tell you about calling me "sweet bums" in public?

Next, your granny knew about anal sex? WOW. Cool granny!

Finally, on to your question: Oral sex carries a very minimal risk for HIV transmission. The majority of those cases are related to extenuating circumstances, such as gum disease, cuts in the mouth, open sores, concurrent STDs, etc. This already very minimal risk can be further reduced by not getting a load of baby batter in the mouth. The cases you have read about of folks who seroconverted by performing oral are anecdotal. It is, of course, difficult to document these claims, because most folks don't like having research epidemiologists watch them giving blowjobs to document that the only potential risk was indeed noshing on a tallywhacker. So, Stud Muffin, the best we can say is that "brief oral with good oral health and no semen" to get someone's motor running carries a negligible risk. As you point out, many folks consider this risk acceptable as part of foreplay before dressing for the main event.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
If you answer one question, please pick mine!
Next
A bit confused on timing issue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.